free website stats program Was Your VERY First bike a Harley? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Was Your VERY First bike a Harley?

1969 - Old Yamaha 80cc I think (not sure of year, barely ran)
1969 - 1949 Indian Scout (gave it away when I got drafted)
1970 - borrowed a Honda 125 and got t-boned by a kid that had got his drivers license hours before and had two girls in the car with him

Many years of not riding

2007 - '07 XL Custom. Really the first bike that counts.

Last edited:
First bike was a 1968 Triumph 650 Bonnieville that I picked up cheap, basket case from an accident. That was in 1973 and I had just taken the Canada Safety Council Motorcycle training course. I was also learning how to weld at a community college in Toronto. Welded the rear into a rigid frame, laced a Harley rim on the rear hub. Picked up an old gas tank and oil tank from my brother's Harley riding buddies and my first bike is chopper. I tried to down load a picture but my computer skills suck, will get my 5 year old granddaughter to help next time she's over.
P.S. I have pictures of that bike and me with hair in My Pictures here on HDTimeline if anyone is interested but I don't have a clue how to move them over to here.

Last edited:
Fortunatley I was lucky enough for my first ride to be a 2001 FXD. Glad i didnt get to fool around with any other "girls".

First bike was a Honda Spirit 750, then a Honda Shadow Sabre. Just got my first Harley, an 08 Street Glide, 3 months ago. There's really no comparison between my Honda and my Harley.

Wife got the Spirit when I got the Sabre, and the Sabre when I got the Harley. She's already got her eyes on my Harley, and has informed me I shouldn't leave it at home alone.

So, this begs the question - what are you going to get WHEN your wife gets the Street Glide?

Thanks for all the responses. So, I guess what I was indirectly asking is: Is it unwise to purchase a Dyna (FXDC or FXDF) as a first bike? The extent of my riding experience is the MSF course, which I did very well in.

thanks
Drew

male
6'1"
210 lbs.

Dont think it matters,You'll learn all the same lessons(some the hard way)regardless of what bike you start out on,the only difference will be the expense involved in your "learning curve".Not to rain on your parade or anything,I sincerely hope and wish you painless lessons,and all the fun and pride that come with owning and riding your Harley.

I think the only stupid bike for a first one would be any high power crotch rocket, rest are fine well except for mabe a Boss Hoss.

Back