free website stats program WARNING..Death Wobble at 85 MPH | Harley Davidson Forums

WARNING..Death Wobble at 85 MPH

This just happened to me about 2 hrs and 4 beers ago. You guys have all seen those air pressure monitoring caps that you can buy anywhere. Do not use these on Motorcycles. My wife and I met on the island for a beer, she was in her car with our grand daughter and she got a head start coming back across the causeway and I was catching up to her at 85 MPH when my rear tire started going flat quick and the death wobble was on. Scared the (edit ) out of me but was able to get to the side of the road. My wife saw and turned around and before she even got there I discoved that the little clear plastic part of the cap had blown off and was still leaking a little air so I looked at the front tire and that whole cap was gone so it just blew it off and did not lose much air. We have used these on our 2 trucks and 1 car for several years without a problem so I am assuming that air in motorcycle tires heats up and expands more quicky than a car tire and thats why they failed, otherwise I can't explain it, just checked tires at 36 PSI cold. I am sure some of you guys can shed some light on it but please if you have them on your Motorcyle take them off. Sure is good to be alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard of them leaking and not being accurate but never just blowing off the stem. Count your lucky stars as still having a purpose in life.

I don't even use rubber stems anymore on both cage and bike.. Chrome plated solid brass stems and Brass "O" ring caps for me.

Glad your OK.
Was there still air pressure in the rear tire when you were able to stop.

I tried using them and could not keep my tires aired up. I had to air them up once a week. Took them off and all is well.

There was not hardly any air when I screwed the remains of it off and it quit losing air. Just since my post I decided to remove them from our other cars as well, now its a safety issue. You live and learn.

The "idea" of those tire monitors is clever. It is really too bad they have to be made so cheap to the point that they become a hazard rather than a safety feature. I am sure they are being produced as fast as toothpicks for .02 cents each in some sweatshop.. After several people loose their lives over them, the 3rd world country producing them will be un-touchable by a class action suit. Mark my words.

Glad you are okay and you let us know about those tire caps. I was looking at some and think I will just keep manually checking the tire pressure. By the way, I grew up in Corpus. I miss the old town but pretty sure things have changed since I enlisted in 1965.

I was in the Navy here in 1974 but lived in the Dallas area most of my life then came back here and overall it has not changed that much, its grown some but you would still recognize it, you can still drive on the beach. They are tearing down Memorial Auditorium as we speak, you probably watched a concert or 2 there.

Thanks for the info. I was just looking at them tonight on a MC supplier site. Now with your info I can just chuck that thought away. Glad you made it alright.

Back