free website stats program Vetrans | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Vetrans

Maybe this post will be removed by the moderators but I just wanted to say how much I admire you folks in the US for the way you treat your veterans. I spent a total of about 14 years in the Canadian military (between the regular forces and the reserves). Here at home, only one person has ever thanked me for my service. Things are a lot different in the United States. In the US, veterans are appreciated (even Canadian veterans) and many people--including many on this board--consistently say: "Thank you for your service". Well I want to say: "Thank you for your thoughtfulness and for your appreciation."

Hey Subby I will honorably give you a thank you. Like duty2 stated it was not always like this. When I came home and wanted to go to my 10 year high school reunion I was told that I would not be allowed.You see I had dropped out of high school and volunteered both for the army and the land of the republic of. My friends from that time were alittle offset. Some feared me and did what they could to avoid me. Now I know that I had issues but....Hey all I wanted to do was dance.

Subby,

I did 8 years of active duty back in the day and I'm presently (at age 55) serving in Baghdad as a contractor with the Military. I will be returning back to Texas in May 2010.

I would like to extend my appreciation to every Veteran who ever served whether during war or peace. We never know how lucky we all are until we serve in the Military and do time in a foreign country where true freedom is never realized until many die to secure that freedom. I serve here with troops from the U.S., South Africa, Uganda, Britain, Sweden, and many other countries. It doesn't matter where you from when you meet in a place like this. You begin to understand the importance of serving and supporting the cause of democracy.

For those naysayers in the U.S. that don't believe in what we do and don't support the troops, I have one thing to say. You have no right to judge until your boots hit the sand here and see what is really going on. You won't hear the truth from the media or the Government, but you can see it in the face of every soldier.

Robdog...Would I stand at your side and enforce what you have stated here.
Only problem is that as the mind is still strong the body just is not as tough as it once was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in the infantry in Nam 70-71. It was bad enough but my hat is off to all of those who served before or after me. I will never let a vet be disrespected like we were.

I was in the infantry in Nam 70-71. It was bad enough but my hat is off to all of those who served before or after me. I will never let a vet be disrespected like we were.

Spade...looking back I don't feel like I was disrespected as much today as I think that perhaps our society was lost in a cycle of bewilderness. With the civil rights movement ,the hippie area,the cold war threat and the involvement of the media putting things on the tv that was dictated from our own goverment things got alittle stroked. My fellow Brothers gave me all the respect that I could ever ask for and I for eternity will always give them mine.

Thanks for the good words...24 years in the USAF and 14 years as a defense contractor. The only jobs I've ever had.

Every Warrior who serves in defense of every freedom-loving nation is worthy of our respect, and deep gratitude. These wonderful people have offered to risk loss of all their tomorrows so that we may have our today. There is no greater love.

To you who honorably served in Vietnam, it's never too late; Welcome Home. I was medically disqualified by USMC in 1966 and was unable to serve, however a number of friends did and I lost my closest childhood friend. Slick Pilot with 176th Assault Hel. Co., at Chu Lai KIA 2/69. I still miss him every day, but I know he was doing what he loved. All of these wonderful guys were treated shamefully upon returning back to the world and I, then and there, vowed to let everyone of them I met know that I appreciate what they did. To this day that is foremost in my mind as I ride myPatriot Guard missions honoring our Fallen Warriors. Vietnam: Good Soldiers, Gutless Politicians.

To our Canadians who have served; you are fellow lovers of freedom, neighbors, and friends; that makes us family. We honor family.

Back