free website stats program Valve train tapping? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Valve train tapping?

Thanks TQ. Keep us informed. Like I said before I have abut 10,000 miles on my build and it is running strong, everthing good except for a bit of tapping. I would thinkthat it is too late for me to pull the p/r and flush them but when I get home I will take them out and clean them out. I will be loading the bike in 9 days for the trip home. After we leave FL. we are going to Myrtle Beach for 6 days to meet friends so I don't think I will be riding there.

So I did readjust the pushrods. Loosened and then aligned the lifter covers with the two tapered alignment tools I used to align the oil pump.
Then set the pushrods to 3 full turns, 1 1/2 flats. That is within the target range that John suggests (.130"-.140"). Waited until I could turn the pushrods freely with my fingers BEFORE rotating the engine for the next set.

Still have tapping!! Now I am worried that one of the lifters in the new set may be bad. Anyone know how to check? I thought about putting my old lifters in and see what happens. If it still makes the same noise, it must be the pushrods rubbing. If the tapping goes away, must be a bad lifter or more in the new set. Anyone got a better idea?

TQ

swapping out is about the only way you can check if you cant pinpoint which one it is making the noise for sure

Still have tapping!! Now I am worried that one of the lifters in the new set may be bad. Anyone know how to check? I thought about putting my old lifters in and see what happens. If it still makes the same noise, it must be the pushrods rubbing. If the tapping goes away, must be a bad lifter or more in the new set. Anyone got a better idea?

TQ

TQ, check out this post about type of tappets used posts #14 & #18:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil/13371-whick_oil_is_ok_for_my_bike.html

TQ, check out this post about type of tappets used posts #14 & #18:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil/13371-whick_oil_is_ok_for_my_bike.html

Thanx for the note. I just replaced the lifters when I did the roller chain conversion earlier this month. The ones I installed are the "B"s. Very frustrating. Have just readjusted the pushrods and aligned the lifter covers to try and take care of this tapping, but to no avail. That is what leads me to suspect that at least one of the new lifters may be bad. I think I will put the old ones back in and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then that points at a bad "new" set. If not, then it is something else, and I will put the new lifters back in and forget about it!!

TQ

TQ was the noise there before you did the conversion. When I get home I will readjust my p/r and see if my nose goes away. My engine was noisy before my conv. I have 10,000 miles on mine now with no problems except the noise. I have read that it could be rockershafts. Somedays it runs soooo quite and I think I am in heaven. I don't know if we will ever find these noises, they say the tc's are a noisy engine.

Back