free website stats program Valve train tapping? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Valve train tapping?

Something to check into is the clearance for the valves in the upper end. Some higher lift cams or larger valves run into a problem in the cover or the lower section. The TC engines have the two piece cover.

Rockerboxclearancing-1.jpg

rockercoversclearance-1.jpg

What's the lift on the cam?

Mine are the AP 21N and the lift is .498" so that is about .025" more than stock.

I do not know about roller rockers, but I doubt it. Have the maintenance records from the bike before I bought it, and they do not show that mod.

TQ

To take the rocker covers out of play, does anyone know of an after-market rocker cover that is .100-.250" taller that would DEFINITELY not be hit by the rockers?

Gonna soak my old lifters in Marvel's until this weekend and then put them in. See if the noise goes away. If so, will swap out the new ones. If not, taller rocker covers!!

TQ

Attachments

• AP_CONVERSION_CAMS.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
TQ you don't have to replace the covers, you can take a die grinder and cut some of the webbing from the cover in the areas where Glider's pictures show. Might be a good idea to do even if they are not hitting. I even noticed in one add for the Andrews cams that it said to check for interferance between the cover and spring. Also mentioned about spring binding but I don't think that our cams lift is that radical.

When I changed the cover gaskets in my 1200 Buell I used James gaskets. They were a lot thicker that the Harley gasket. Glider do you think the James might be a cure.

TQ you don't have to replace the covers, you can take a die grinder and cut some of the webbing from the cover in the areas where Glider's pictures show. Might be a good idea to do even if they are not hitting. I even noticed in one add for the Andrews cams that it said to check for interferance between the cover and spring. Also mentioned about spring binding but I don't think that our cams lift is that radical.

When I changed the cover gaskets in my 1200 Buell I used James gaskets. They were a lot thicker that the Harley gasket. Glider do you think the James might be a cure.

Submitted a tech question on the Andrews site. Here is the response:

TQ,

If they are our pushrods, adjust them 4 turns out from a lightly seated position when the tappet is on the base circle or heel of the cam. There shouldn't be any need to clearance anything, the 21 is as small as cams get.

Thank you,

Gary Wallace
Technical Support
Andrews Products, Inc.
847 759-0190 Ext. 38
847 759-0848 Fax

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:56 AM
To: Tech
Subject:

Question from WEB page. Question from: TQ Email xxxx Question: Have just installed the roller chain mod. with AP 21N cams, new "B" hyd. tappets and adj. pushrods. Should there be any need to relieve the rocker covers? Have a tapping sound that seems like valve tap, but have readjusted pushrods and aligned lifter covers again to no avail. Engine was stock configuration before these changes. '03 FLHTCUI. TQ ASP page version 1.33 20030429

Your idea about thicker gaskets is a good one, but I don't think that is the problem with ours according to Andrews.

TQ

If anything I would go with the webbing mod in the cover itself. No cost and easy enough to do and would do the same as looking for a taller cover if even there is one.

I hate to sing like the choir, but like Glider said, while the covers are off, inspect the cover webbing areas for a wear pattern associated with something hitting them... can't hurt. Most of those casting will have "hogout" milling machine marks that are smooth and distinct...something clattering would have indentations that are random or look like "chatter" or similar nick marks.

I hate to sing like the choir, but like Glider said, while the covers are off, inspect the cover webbing areas for a wear pattern associated with something hitting them... can't hurt. Most of those casting will have "hogout" milling machine marks that are smooth and distinct...something clattering would have indentations that are random or look like "chatter" or similar nick marks.

Right. Well if the old lifters don't make any difference, then it is either something tapping against the rocker covers, or the pushrods rubbing against the pushrod covers. I guess my next move will be to take off the rocker covers and check for signs of contact (and wallow it out for good measure!).

TQ

While apart for new cams ???? DID the OIL PUMP get aligned properly when put back together??

My twin-cam is OLDER (00) but I had a problem with getting full oil pressure when I changed my cams out..... I went back and RE-ALIGNED the OIL PUMP and that made the difference of the noise i had.......LOW OIL PRESSURE tapping lifters

just my thoughts

signed....BUBBIE
I went back and read all thread from the start..... Looks like you aligned the oil pump right with pins....

I had a sound like a lifter that turned out to be a crank ROD bearing going out ... disapeared off compression against the motor but re-appeared under load.....This went on for a long time with the BEST NOT knowing what the noise was. saying a lifter on yours I HOPE....

Last edited:
Back