V&H Short Shots vs. Straightshot slip ons

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by toddbuckley, Mar 31, 2009.

1. toddbuckley

toddbuckley Member

Interested in anyone's thoughts as to whether the short shots are a better option than the slip ons in terms of change in exhaust note relative to factory exhaust. More specifically, I am wondering if the difference between the two options is principally cosmetic or if there is a notable difference in sound (going on a 1200 Low).

2. dblKick

dblKick Member

I just put the SS's on my Street Bob. Much louder, even with the quiet baffles. Not a deep throughty sound but more like fire crackers.

3. slimjim47

slimjim47 Member

Depends what sound you like. If you want something that sounds like it has burned out baffles, loud, and like a stock car, go with the Short Shots. If you want a mellower, deep rumble, I'd look at a set of slip-ons. I know one thing, when it comes to exhaust systems, I wouldn't be buying a set up based on what you're told here. All of our opinions and likes are 100% personal, what sounds good to OUR ears. You have to live with the sound YOUR ears like. Try to hold off until you've had the chance to hear a few different set-ups on a Sporty. You'll know the ones you want the minute you hear them!

4. Romain

Romain Active Member

Very wise advice. Whatever exhaust you use though a Harley will always sound better than other bikes.

5. 00BUCKSHOT

00BUCKSHOT Junior Member

i had short shots on my wideglide the sound was not my favorite
    so now i'm sporting samson long slashers and i love the sound

6. 09 FXSTC

09 FXSTC Member

I have Short Shots on my 09 Softail, stock baffles. I am not happy with the "raspy" sound the baffles give off mainly when decelerating.:(

7. Bait

Bait Active Member

We have Short Shots on our 1200 Nightster; I prefer the sound over my Fatboy with SE slip-ons. That said loud pipes are an individual preference.

8. Blue Wide Glide

Blue Wide Glide Junior Member

I had V/H Long Shots on my Springer, and they looked and sounded great. The Long Shots also keep more of the exhaust "residue" off of the bike.

9. jloomis19

jloomis19 Active Member

I have the Screamin Eagle II's w/baffles removed, love the sound it gives, but V&H SS's are definately in my near future, I love the sound they give.

10. Sepultura

Sepultura Member

I know this is an old thread, but which one is the loudest of the two?
    I prefer the deeper rumbling sound, but I wan't something that is nice and loud :bigsmiley18: