free website stats program Upgrade questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Upgrade questions

I know this has been covered many times but I am needing some direction. I just got a 2011 road king. My plans for the future is to upgrade cams and jump up to a 103 with head work. My questions are. What tuner would be best to go from stage 1 up to stage 3? The upgrades will be done over time. Is there any benefit for going with true duals over slip-ons?

To each his own. What about a stage 1 air cleaner, slip-ons, tfi, and 255 cams. Type in 255 cams in search box a lot of good advice. Might be able to achieve satisfactory performance upgrade with out head work.

Yeah I will research that as I get around to stage 2. right I am trying to decide on a tuner and exhaust, and high flow filter.

The only difficult part of exhaust decision might be a complete true dual or just installing a non cat front pipe from a 2009 and then mufflers.
Type in removal of cat pipe in search line for more good advice.
Also keeping in mind future upgrades to achieve most bang for the buck.

Yeah im wantbuild this with those upgrades in mind and keeping the power curve in the low to mid-range. What would be the benefit to true duals over slip-ons or vice versa?

Yeah im wantbuild this with those upgrades in mind and keeping the power curve in the low to mid-range. What would be the benefit to true duals over slip-ons or vice versa?

True duels will Drop the Low End torque... I went with straight V&H slip-ons with Scrm'n eagle air and "TFI" later installed SE255 cams.. I am pleased where it is today (for now)....

My idea I would do is get the 09 head pipes to lose the cats, good air and TFI along with Your Preference slip-ons and be there for a while,,,,, You'll have the Low End power..... Then think about the bigger bore and cams Later.

signed....BUBBIE

If you go with TFI make sure you tell them about the Future Mods. you plan...

As I read the tech articles by "Donnie Petersen" in the American Iron Mag. (you notice I said "read" as opposed to "experienced" it) the biggest limiting factor of performance for a Twin Cam is the heads. H-D does this to comply with emmisions. A free flow air filter and exhaust system along with a fuel tuner and some head work wakens the horse power gods for harley's. It also runs cooler which is not a bad added benefit. Speaking of running cooler, an oil cooler will also help. Anything to keep the "big twin" cool helps.

I have been reading about the dobeck. Would that be a good option? I like the price. I just want a tuner that will be able to be adjusted for future mods. Trying to learn this EFI stuff is like trying to learn greek to me.

Back