free website stats program Ultra lower fairing usefullness?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra lower fairing usefullness??

I too use mine for Hogtune speakers. Don't know what else they're good for other than maybe keeping your feet a bit dryer in the rain.

I leave mine on, but during the summer in slow moving traffic, it sure gets hot. Having them on it the rain helps some, but if it rains long, your legs will still get wet. They do offer protection to your legs from stones and such. I have a few small dings in them to show that they have stopped my leg from getting the dings.

I guess I'm in the minority here. In my riding years, I've owned 3 GoldWings, and 3 Ultras. The GoldWings have more places to store stuff, which I find handy on long trips. So, I buy the lockable "doors" for the lower fairings. The OEM snap on ones are useless, and the lockable ones are handy. There's also a cool drink holder which can act as one of the doors, freeing up the handlebars.

The lower fairing compliments the beauty of the Ultra Classic. Not a lot of protection, except for low flying bugs, which add to your cleaning time. If I were going to remove them, I'd simply get an Ultra instead of a Classic.

We hit some heavy rain earlier this year, two of us on UCs and one on a Standard with no lowers. I was amazed at how much they protected my feet. Yes, I still got wet, but nothing compared to the guy on the Standard. He might as well have been standing in a puddle.

I thought about removong the lowers on my ultra for the summer, then got distracted with something else and it never happened. I'm glad it worked out that way.

I'm riding across OK in late June, temperatures are breaking 100 degrees. Sweltering hot, I'm thinking, why didn't I pull the lowers when I was thinking about it? I've got the louvers open, getting air flow, but I'm looking for every little bit I can get.

Three or four days later I'm riding up into the mountains in Colorado. It's 0630, the temperature is 40 degrees when I start up the pass. At the summit, the temperature is down to 32 degrees, and I'm thinking, boy I'm glad I didn't pull those lowers when I was thinking about it. I've got the louvers closed and it is blocking a lot of cold wind from my feet and shins.

Same thing works with the rain. Sure, they are a compormise, but they are way more adjustable than the other options.

Comparing, with lowers and without. I road the Ultra to San Diego this spring and went through alot of rain, no rain gear, legs kept somewhat dry, they help keep the hot air off the legs, as long as we were moving, and my chaps were almost bug free when we got home.
The lower storage units are good for keeping small stuff, bungie cords, gloves,
Road the RoadKing to Denver last month, and had to clean my chaps every night becouse they became covered with bug guts, turning them almost white with yellow spots from the knees down, and I'm sure you all know how bad chaps smell when the bugs have been cooking on them from the hot air and sun.

Back