free website stats program Ultra lower fairing usefullness?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra lower fairing usefullness??

Smell?...*sniff*...nothing here,:small3d007: maybe if I move closer to the screen...:lolrolling

I guess I'm in the minority here. In my riding years, I've owned 3 GoldWings, and 3 Ultras. The GoldWings have more places to store stuff, which I find handy on long trips. So, I buy the lockable "doors" for the lower fairings. The OEM snap on ones are useless, and the lockable ones are handy. There's also a cool drink holder which can act as one of the doors, freeing up the handlebars.
Am I to understand correctly that there is a door that acts as a drink holder on the lowers? Who makes it?

I bought a Classic as although I love the amenities of a touring motorcycle, I still like to be able to see the road going past down by my feet.

To me the Ultra has just a little too much clutter, especially with the lowers.

To each his own but I think the Classic is the ideal balance of comfort and protection from the elements without too plastic tacked on.

As previously mentioned, if you want protection from the weather, soft lowers are a quick and in-expensive addition.

I just put the soft lowers on when the weather gets cold.Its tough enough to get air on you in the summer with the faring and windshield let alone something at your knees.

Howdy,
At somepoint in 2010, (or sooner if the right bike/price come along) I plan on buying an Ultra Classic to add to "the collection".
My question is, and it's more curiosity than anything, is are the lower fairings worth anything protection wise? Dosen't look like they would do much in the rain. Look like they would be hot in the summer. I do like the moveable part (2010 models) to help keep warm.
I'm down here in South Florida where it rains alot and is warm/hot (depending how you look at it) most of the year. Of course, we do get our 2 weeks of winter in late Jan or Feb where it gets WAY down to 50 degrees. :p
Way down to 50 !......................that's just a cool breeze. The lowers make good speaker cabinets, I think Hawgwired or someone like that makes a kit so ya can install some 6X9's in em. Otherwise the soft lowers do the same thing, are easier to put on/off, fit in the bottom of yer tour pac, can't be scratched up and weigh less. In other words there's a lot of em fer sale on E-Bay.

Back