free website stats program Type B motors | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Type B motors

If the MOCO could come up with a better mount for the softail line they would not need the extras in the B motor, just more parts to wear out and it takes power to run these extra partsIMO

I think the purpose of the "B" balance shaft is to oppose the firing impulses causing torque thrust not a cure for a "centrifugal force" out of balance engine.

If either the A or B engine were out of balance they would eventually fracture something or self destruct.

The A H-D engine "Dances" around at idle, when the RPMs increase it smooths out as the firing impulses increase in frequency.

If it were truly out of balance, vibration would increase .

The B engine balance shaft weights would have to be increased with RPM as the out of balance inertia force increases with RPM, if it were out of balance.

Ok shoot,:newsmile020:

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I like the fact that my Deluxe doesn't shake itself to death and I can use my rear view mirrors. answers.:newsmile020:

I have a 2010 FXDC and can see my rear view mirrors with no problem....even at idle as long as my hands are on the grips.....yes if I let go of the grips the mirrors shake and the rear view is impared but no big deal. I like the looks of my bike when it is sitting at idle....motor rolling in the frame and handlebars shaking! As with all A motors the thing is smooth as glass once you get it underway.

Thanks Tank,
I'm close, let me quote this;

"As is the case with all balance shafts, it takes its toll on power, and the 88B is no exception, but as to how that relates to its use on the road only time will tell. Certainly a five horsepower loss at the crank is not the best of news, but the torque figure is largely unaffected and even the lesser figure is up on the previous generation's Evo-powered bikes, so it's a small price to pay for a significantly more ride able bike."
Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I don't expect power or performance from my Harley. I never thought that this is what the average owner wanted. I expect terrific quality, killer looks and a wonderful riding experience that only a Harley can provide. I have had various models for over 50 years. If I want speed and handling I'll take my Ducati Streetfighter out for a spin. With 150 plus rear wheel horsepower I don't need to worry about parasitic horsepower loss, I need to worry about hanging on!:59:

I agree. I wanted the looks and the sound and the history connected to the Harley plus the great ride. I have no desire to have a bike rattle my teeth while I am sitting on it.
I had a Goldwing. It was a great bike. Did a lot of touring on it but I couldn't even hear or "feel" it running. It had no "soul", if that is the appropriate word.
My softail is the perfect solution for me. Great ride, great sound and enough "feel" to let me know I have a bike under me.
We all have different tastes and requirements. I would imagine that is why the MoCo makes a lot of different models.
Just my 2 cents, when adjusted for inflation isn't worth a darn thing.:D

doctordoug wrote:

"I agree with you. I don't expect power or performance from my Harley. I never thought that this is what the average owner wanted. I expect terrific quality, killer looks and a wonderful riding experience that only a Harley can provide."

And that says it all!
Ishmael

Below is a link to lengthy writeup about the Big Twin. About halfway down the page the B motor is explained very nicely.

Big Twin - Harley Davidson Community

Enjoy the reading!! :s

Thanks for the posting. It was great reading and I enjoyed it. People love to bash Harley but I'll put their bike up against any others out there. If you want class, character and soul ride a Harley. I have had a good number of all the manufacturers models and my Deluxe is at the top. My Duc is good but not in the same class.

I have a Deluxe and my husband a Road King. I ride as passenger on his often enough to notice the difference. At stop lights, I do what little kids do in front of a fan. That AAAHHHHH sound with their chest vibrating!

Whether the vibration bothers you or not.... It is a Harley. It looks awesome! It sounds awesome! It IS awesome!

Ride on and be happy with a big smile plastered on your face.

Now, away with the snow please!:D

My 500cc Honda single has a balancer;my 3 cylinder 595 Trumpy has a balanced motor and of course so does my 96B Deluxe.Who cares about an insignificant power loss at the crank when your quality-of-ride is improved?

I've always thought that rubber mounting a motor(and allowing it to move in a couple of different planes)is bad news for all the bits and pieces that attach to said moving motor and then to a fixed object.Bits fracture,break apart,fall off due to vibration and motor mounts wear out.Norton used the "Isolastic" mounts to try and smooth-out those parallel twin vibes without much success.They had to be torqued 'EXACTLY just so' to work;and then they wouldn't.Harley has troubles with its' rubber mounts,and heaven forbid,so do cars!Rubber wears out;it shrinks,it cracks due to heat and UV exposure.Oil,petrol and degreasers affect it.It breaks.It's fickle.It aint long term.

Not like these lovely balance shafts and weights.They're just 'there' all the time doing their sterling thing.

LONG LIVE THE BALANCED MOTOR I SAY.:worthy

Back