free website stats program Twin cam 88 “B” | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Twin cam 88 “B”

[QUOTE="03 Fatboy4evr]Thank you both for your responses and advice. Just 2 more quick questions. Alpha vs. Beta for this build? Any concerns? As I originally stated, most builds of this nature seem to be based on the Alpha. And last, lifter bores. How often have you seen the need for larger diameter lifters?[/QUOTE]

Short answer is "no" and "almost never".

You are mistaken about "most builds of this nature". There are just as many Beta builds and there are Alpha. As you know, the only significant difference is the Bet counter balance assembly. That assembly has a chain, tensioner and bearings drive by a sproket on the crank. The sprocket is an interference press fit and indexed to the crank. That sprocket has been know to "slip" on the crank and throw everything out of balance. If that was an issue, you would know it immediately. Unless mileage is approaching 100K, I would not be concerned about the counter balance assembly. As I previously mentioned, I am running a Beta 98" motor that makes 115HP/115TQ and am not concerned about the counter balance assembly.

Very rare to have to install larger diameter lifters, again, motor would have to have high mileage. Of course, you can measure the clearance against the OEM specs and check. If out of tolerance, you would have to have the lifter bores machined to fit one of the two OS lifters currently available; very unusual and very expensive. The only times I have seen this required was after a catastrophic mechanical failure that destroyed a motor.

Welcome from the left coast. My first TC was a 99 FXDL 88CI. Turned me into a lover of twin cams. That bike was amazing and took more abuse than any motorcycle I have ever known. It was close to 100k on the clock when I got rid of it. The 88 was a great motor in it's day but as Dolt says, there is no shortage of upgrade options up to and including jacking the motor up and sliding an S&S 103 under it. IMHO the 103 is the best TC ever made. Sounds like you have some big plans. Keep us posted!

Back