free website stats program Twin cam 88 “B” | Harley Davidson Forums

Twin cam 88 “B”

Hello everyone,
My name is Jeff and I’m a new member and I own an 03 Fat Boy and an 07 Road King.
The Fat Boy has approximately 105K miles on it and has been a great bike for me. It’s has a carbureted 88 “B” engine, basically stock with the usual stage 1 upgrade, with V&H True Duals and minor carb tuning.
I’m looking to rebuild it with a S&S 100” Power Kit. My question is, is it a worthwhile project for a twin cam b motor? Virtually everything I have read seems to be fuel injected, alpha based builds,(no balancer weights). I’m not a mechanic but I am mechanically inclined and have performed most of my own work and maintenance and this is a project that I am likely to do myself.
Thanks in advance for any feedback and pointers.

Welcome from south Texas. Trust me, there are a gazillion or more displacement upgrades for the TC88. The MoCo has offered 95" Big Bore kit since the TC88 was introduced; about 10 years ago owners started boring OEM cylinders to 3.938" for a 09" displacement; shortly after that, the MoCo and the aftermarket introduced the 100" kits for the TC88. Worthwhile? Only you can decide that.

Are you considering the $3400 kit with cylinders, pistons, cam plate/pump, lifters and pushrods or just the piston/cylinder kit? Will you be doing the wrenching? Chain or gear drive kit?

Just a few off the cuff things for you to consider.
1. If considering gear drive; crank runout should be checked and if runout is close to or exceeds .003", stick with chain drive.
2. With the increased compression, you will need a progammable ignition to address timing. Stock timinng is a bit advanced and breaking in a new build with advanced timing generates heat and heat is the enemy of an air cooed vtwin.
3. Suggest you look around your area for a tuner that has experience tuning a carbed performance build. After investing that much money in performance upgrades, the new motor shoud be broken in on a dyno if possible. If there is a qualified tuner nearby, a short ride to the dyno won't kill the new build but if a longer drive is necessary, trailer the bike to the dyno. I would discourage you from trying to tune the new, higher compression motor by trial and error rides and plug reading. If you can find a tuner, let him know your motor specs and have him recommend carb jetting and ignition setting for the initial dyno run.
4. The max lift on the '03 models is speced at .510"; some have gotten by with .525" but unless the OEM valve springs are replaced with the later '05 beehive springs, the .585" lift of the 585 cams is a non- starter. I assume the the heads have probably never been removed? If thai is the case, the heads need "refreshed" at a minimum. This could involve replacing valves, guides and springs and will certainly involve general cleaning, carbon removal, new guide seals, valve job and maybe a surgace cut just to true up the contact surface. For the cost of that work, you can send the heads out what is commonly referred to as a "Street" or "Stage I" port job which, considering the displacement of the upgrade would be a good idea.
5. I also assume tha the carb is the OEM CV40? It probably should be rebuilt. There are a couple of easy things you can do to improve the carb performance. Replace the return spring with the lighter spring; drill the vacuum port to 1/8" and replace the A/F adjustment screw with the knurled one; find the parts at CV Performance.com.
6. IIRC correctly, new inner cam bearings are not included in the S&S kit. The INA bearings should be replaced with MoCo or Torrington/Toyo full complment bearings, B148s.

As you can see, if you are doiing the wrenching, you will need to think about "special tools" or work wrounds. Happy to help out.

That's a short list of some up front things I think shoud be considered before you pull the trigger on the S&S kit.;)

Last edited:
Welcome from south Texas. Trust me, there are a gazillion or more displacement upgrades for the TC88. The MoCo has offered 95" Big Bore kit since the TC88 was introduced; about 10 years ago owners started boring OEM cylinders to 3.938" for a 09" displacement; shortly after that, the MoCo and the aftermarket introduced the 100" kits for the TC88. Worthwhile? Only you can decide that.

Are you considering the $3400 kit with cylinders, pistons, cam plate/pump, lifters and pushrods or just the piston/cylinder kit? Will you be doing the wrenching? Chain or gear drive kit?

Just a few off the cuff things for you to consider.
1. If considering gear drive; crank runout should be checked and if runout is close to or exceeds .003", stick with chain drive.
2. With the increased compression, you will need a progammable ignition to address timing. Stock timinng is a bit advanced and breaking in a new build with advanced timing generates heat and heat is the enemy of an air cooed vtwin.
3. Suggest you look around your area for a tuner that has experience tuning a carbed performance build. After investing that much money in performance upgrades, the new motor shoud be broken in on a dyno if possible. If there is a qualified tuner nearby, a short ride to the dyno won't kill the new build but if a longer drive is necessary, trailer the bike to the dyno. I would discourage you from trying to tune the new, higher compression motor by trial and error rides and plug reading. If you can find a tuner, let him know your motor specs and have him recommend carb jetting and ignition setting for the initial dyno run.
4. The max lift on the '03 models is speced at .510"; some have gotten by with .525" but unless the OEM valve springs are replaced with the later '05 beehive springs, the .585" lift of the 585 cams is a non- starter. I assume the the heads have probably never been removed? If thai is the case, the heads need "refreshed" at a minimum. This could involve replacing valves, guides and springs and will certainly involve general cleaning, carbon removal, new guide seals, valve job and maybe a surgace cut just to true up the contact surface. For the cost of that work, you can send the heads out what is commonly referred to as a "Street" or "Stage I" port job which, considering the displacement of the upgrade would be a good idea.
5. I also assume tha the carb is the OEM CV40? It probably should be rebuilt. There are a couple of easy things you can do to improve the carb performance. Replace the return spring with the lighter spring; drill the vacuum port to 1/8" and replace the A/F adjustment screw with the knurled one; find the parts at CV Performance.com.
6. IIRC correctly, new inner cam bearings are not included in the S&S kit. The INA bearings should be replaced with MoCo or Torrington/Toyo full complment bearings, B148s.

As you can see, if you are doiing the wrenching, you will need to think about "special tools" or work wrounds. Happy to help out.

That's a short list of some up front things I think shoud be considered before you pull the trigger on the S&S kit.;)
Thanks for the reply,
I’m looking at the complete 100” kit with the 585 easy lift cams, the support plate w/ hydraulic tensioners and upgraded oil pump. I’m aware that at the least I need to change the valve springs and do a refresh on the heads. The runout was right at .003” the last time I checked, but that was a few years ago. I’ve toyed with the idea of gear driven cams but thought that with the type of riding I do the hydraulic tensioner upgrade would suffice. I have considered a bottom end rebuild with the Timken bearing upgrade with trued and welded flywheels. Maybe later on upgrade to the gear drive if needed.
The carb was also rebuilt a few years back with CV Performance parts and a needle from a Sportster.(I don’t remember the part number). I have considered a Mikuni carb to replace the stock cv, just not sure on the size. As far as the ignition is concerned I would see what my tuner recommends. I started to do this project a few years ago, started tearing into things and had to sideline the project. So I replaced the cam bearings and installed a new set of S&S lifters and replaced the tensioner shoes.
I’m not looking to build a fire breather, just looking for a little more fun. I know I won’t be getting every last drop out of this setup, I’m running V&H True Duels and I’m not looking to change that. I’m just looking for as much of a complete package setup as possible. I would like to do as much of the work myself. Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks so much for your help and time.

I can't add much; sounds like a good plan. Agree on the hydraulic tensioner upgrade; however, should you decide to beef up the bottom and and convert to gears there is no need to do the Timken conversion. The later "Lefty" bearing on both sides of the crank is quite adequate. I built a high compression 98" motor making 115TQ/115HP two years ago using the Lefty bearings; I did have the crank trued and plugged as well.

As for a carb and IMHO, the CV40 is easier to tune than a Mik 42 which is the appropriate size replacement. I have attacehd a flow bench comparison you might find interesting and help you make the decision whether or not to replace the CV. As you know, the Mik is cable operated and those that convert believe the Mik is making more power because of the instant throttle respons but the flow bench compartison show what is really happening. Opening up the CV vacuum port and using the ligher spring will improve throttle response.

The quality of S&S lifters has gone down and the "go to" lifter these days is the Johnson Hy-Lift from WFO Larry; he has three lifters; all good.

You could re-baffle those V&H pipes and probably pick up some low end. Refreshing the heads should include a multi angle valve job. Good luck with the project and keep us posted on progress.;)

Attachments

• cv_vs_mikuni.jpg
    cv_vs_mikuni.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 2
I have a Dyna that had a CV carb that was modified/tuned to the 1990's recommended settings, etc. After installing performance heads, cams, ignition and exhaust, I just had to have a 42mm Mikuni. I can't say the results were disappointing, but the Mik showed no real performance gains and they rattle a bit at idle. I also think you have a recipe for a fun build.

Thank you both for your responses and advice. Just 2 more quick questions.
Alpha vs. Beta for this build? Any concerns?
As I originally stated, most builds of this nature seem to be based on the Alpha.
And last, lifter bores. How often have you seen the need for larger diameter lifters?

Back