free website stats program turn signal issues | Harley Davidson Forums

turn signal issues

I went for a ride today and for some reason my security light on the speedo came on. It came on while I was riding and its never done this before. After that my right turn signal stopped working. I thought it may have a bad bulb so I switched sides and the problem stayed on the right side.
when I cycle the ignition switch and the security resets, sometimes the rights side flashes twice like normal and sometimes it flashes once. When it flashes twice, the signal will work for about 15 flashes and then stops again and the security light comes back on. Anyone have any idea what in the world is causing this?
the bike is an 07 streetglide. I have made no changes to it since early 08 so its nothing I have done.
the security light I am speaking of is the red key light on the speedo.

thanks in advance for the help

I just added the kuryakn module to make your turn signals also running lights. They also blink four time and then stay on when brakes are applied as a safety precaution. After the installation sometimes my red security light stays on. If I shut the bike off and restart it it always goes out. I figured it is because of the aftermarket install. There is another electrical part that will eliminate this problem. But I haven't bought it yet.

OK I just checked for codes and had 2. they were 61124 and 61126. I decided to clear them and start the bike and see if they returned, they didnt and the signal worked as normal. Is it possible that I got something in the switch area wet when I washed the bike last night? I washed the heck out of the inner fairing.
Any idea on what the codes mean? I didnt see it on the list ( I printed it off for future use)

Very possible the water caused the problem. Those codes don't relate to anything, maybe you mis read them?

I had this same issue on my 08 FXDC and after a few questions to other riders the conclusion. I had earlier installed a sissy bar and mounting bracket about a week before this appeared. The cause of signal failure and security light was some how when installing the bracket while the signal was loose the wires came out of the clip and were being rubbed by the tire eventualy causing them to contact each other and short to ground. I cut them used butt connectors and tape placed them back in the clip and no more problems.

I read them once and then checked them again. thats the 2 it came up with. I cleared them up and plan to ride the bike and see if they return. Hopefully the water was the issue, I have never really washed the inner fairing like i did friday.

I took the bike out for a ride again today and had no issues. I am hoping that I just got some water somewhere that I shouldnt have. I didnt figure taking the hose to the inner fairing should cause any problems but I guess I am back to cleaning it with windex. I have never had a water issue with any Harley I have ever had and this really surprises me. I rode this same bike back from Sturgis last summer and rode through rain all the way from Sturgis to the Iowa border without an issue. Then again the inner fairing stayed some what dry in that ride.
I will update this post if my issue returns.
Thanks again for the posts, its nice to have some experience and other ideas to draw from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always say when washing a bike never to go above the tank itself with a hose and not to use any pressure washers on it. The connections are weather resistant and not water proof, big difference.
On the inner fairing it would be best to use a towel that was wet and rung out tight to clean it or pledge on a rag.

I have used a pressure washer on my bike many of times even on the inner fairing , I dont get real close & blast the inner fairing , But I have never had any issues wih it . I pressure wash the bike dry it off & ride it away from the car wash , with no problems . I have rode in the rain for hours on end & been on rode trips & the bike has been outside in the hotel parking lot in the rain uncovered for hours , I rode it in a snow storm & never a issue . You may have a hidden issue & the water may have brought it out . JMO

new problem, now the signals work like they should but the brake light dont. I have the tail light but no brake light. any ideas on where to start looking for what is causing these issues? as I mentioned before, these problems all started last saturday after washing the bike on friday night.

Back