free website stats program Turn signal and Brake fuse blowing!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn signal and Brake fuse blowing!!!!

All kinds of things to check for but the key ones are cut/abraded insulation where ever the wiring passes thru metal openings (sharp edges), looms (especially near the frame and under the fender. Also the sockets should not have any evidence of white powder (corrosion) discoloration (shiny not blue or brown indicating heating), shine and protect with light coat of dielelectric grease ($9.99 at HD or $7.99 at AutoZone, O'Reilley/Kragen (an old RV'ers trick). Also make sure the drain holes in the various fixtures are unplugged, remember seeing an HD parked next to mine that had the tail light 1/2 full of water, LOL!

Ok, like I posted earlier, picked it up last friday, the 19th, Have rode it for about 3 full days and that fuse has NOT blown once! I couldn't get it out of the subdivision at the end of the season last year without it blowing!?!...:wall. I'm thinking that maybe while they were in there looking for it and doing that recall, maybe they inadvertanly moved one of the wires or shifted something just right to cause it to stop...just a thought I had, but I'll keep you guys posted if it starts again.

Just a thought. I have an 09 FLHX and I replaced my tail light with the Tail Blazer light a few months back. Kept blowing fuses and my cruise didn't work. Come to find out that the bulb was the problem. The lead mechanic at my local dealer said it was the bulb. They put in a stock one and I've been fine ever since.

Also you might check the wire that goes thru the front fender for the fender marker light. It is a pretty common problem. Check the gromet there. Sometimes just shaking the wires will eliminate the problem, until it shorts again.

Since the last posting on the fuse issue, March 25th, about 7 1/2 weeks ago. I've popped 3 fuses. Thats way less than the rate it was going through them last season. I just read your reply "cowboywildbill" and will try that today.

Didn't read the entire thread again but also check the wiring under the rear fender. Very often the tire rubs through the harness causing it to short out.

Dose it pop when you use the turn signal or when you hit the brake? if its all fine while sitting still its got to be a bad wire. have you bottomed out the rear tire? that will make a fine mess I know! a friend of mine had the same thing on his rking, we found a wire to the rear brake had shorted out to the frame at a wiretie that was very tight just to the rear of the back brake light switch under his right foot.

You might unhook the battery, turn the switch on, hook a OHM meter from the hot side of the bulb to gound and start flexing/twisting the wiring harness and see if it drops down to a low reading at some point anlong the wire runs. If you have acess to a meg-ohm meter you can UNHOOK and the battery the wiring harness on each end and run a test on the same wires and see if you have bad insulation somewhere in the wiring.
A factory manual will show you which wires are the ones.

Back