free website stats program Turn signal and Brake fuse blowing!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn signal and Brake fuse blowing!!!!

EPPD3475

I have a 2009 street glide, around the end of the season last year the fuse for the brake light and turn signal started to blow.

I checked all the wires in the hand controls to see if they were pinched but found nothing wrong with them...

Just wondering where I could go from here.........I understand its under warranty but I put on some new exhaust and grips wondering if I did something to it...........

Welcome EPPD3475, Does it have the shot all the time or is it intermittent, you can check under the rear fender just in case some wires might have dropped down and are rubbing.

I cant tell when its exactly happening, when the bike is stationary everything works fine. When I get on and ride it blows right away like 30 seconds out of the drive.

I would loosen the hand lever just enought to move them a little, and try moving them one at a time to see if something blows the fuse, you can also do a wiggle test on any wires in question and you could also unplud the rear wiring harness to the taillights under the seat and do the 30 secound thing to see if it still blows the fuse. Just some thoughts.

Chopper has you covered, but likely the rear fender tailight/turn signal wiring is shorting out to the metal stays designed to keep them away from the back tire hitting them. Did you have someone work on the turn signal/taillight assemblies for adding features like relocating for bags, or installing trick LED lighting? If the tech did not redress the wiring properly in the looms the insulation can easily be cut where it passes thru the different metal openings.

Do you have the run/stop/turn module? My buddy had the same problem, and when he sat on the bike, the module was getting squished between frame and seat causing fuses to blow. Moving the module didn't work, the damage was done. He removed it and all was fine.

Last edited:
Wow, I thought I was the only one, my 09 SG started doing the same thing at the same time, right at the end of the riding season last year. I did install a LED brakelight in feb. (7 months prior). and I have also looked under seat and rear fender, couldn't find anything. I'm think i'm gonna let the dealership deal with it, I hate electrical gremlins and not being able to use my cruise!...If you find whats causing yours please post it, and I'll do the same! Good Luck.

Hiya, I had a very simular problem with rear lights, indicators and speedo 15 amp fuse blowing on my 1999 Road King- mind turned out to be the small bulb under the headlight bulb!!! which was taking the charge straight to earth and blowing the fuse.

Only found this after 3 hours dismantling headlight and checking all wires.
Dont know if this will help you but might be worth looking
Good Luck
Burchy

hi forgot to say the reason this was happening was the small bulb had blown .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input burchy, picked mine up from the dealership yesterday and they couldn't find anything (big suprise there). I'll check out the bulb issue you had, you never know. Thanks again!

I had the same problem with my 07' SG. Broken fairing brackets led to too much movement in the fairing and the wires to the left front turn signal rubbed through. When I'd put the turn signal on, POP. Can be tough chasing down a possible bare spot in a wire.

Back