free website stats program tune up | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

tune up

Hi FLH Canuck. Good name, go canucks. I got the bike about 5 years ago, it has 62000 kms. on it. The rough idle seems worsr when it,s warm, feels like the injectors may be dirty. Runs fine at speed, once in a while there,s a little hesitation when taking off. If I,m idling along in heavy traffic I have to use the clutch more to stop the lurching if that makes any sense to you. No recent mods done to it.
:newsmile07: Let us know HOW the New TFI works for you....:D

signed....BUBBIE

Member do get a discount.. ASK for it.

once in a while there,s a little hesitation when taking off.

Before adding or changing anything, I would determine what my fuel pump pressure was. It is easy to mask the root problem by making changes or over compensating in another area. With the PC now removed, you need to first address the "hesitation when taking off". There is a reason for the hesitation and it very well can be low fuel pump pressure.

Thanks Hoople, how do I check fuel pump pressure. Can,t do it for 2 weeks anyway. I,m away for 2 weeks. Miss the bike already.

If all the basics are good (decent fuel, new plugs etc.) , I would start with a compression test as that will give you a baseline of your engine's condition and if good, eliminate most mechanical issues as the source of the problem.

As Chopper said, check for vacuum leaks at the intake gaskets and check for any missing plugs or caps around the throttle body and intake manifold. Sometimes a short piece of hose or stethoscope with open tube on the end can be used to listen for any vacuum leaks or spray with brake clean or similar and listen for a change in rpm to locate the leak.

If that isn't it, then the problem could well be fuel or ignition related. With fuel injection, you pretty much need to take it into a shop with the proper diagnostic equipment.

If you are looking for somebody other than the dealer, I would recommend checking out Jarz Performance in Abbotsford. Those guys know what they are doing and wont feed you any (EDIT) . Let us know how you make out.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks flh canuck, it,s still under warranty so maybe should stick with dealer .No complaints with them so far. They just take so long to get anything done. Resting up in Birch Bay right now with no bike for a couple of weeks. Gives me time to think on it. Thanks. Go Canucks

how do I check fuel pump pressure.

Not hard to build, but by the time you finish making an adapter to check the pressure, you will have $50-$60 in it.

I did not realize you had an extended warranty on the bike. So getting the dealership to check it for you would be best.

Back