free website stats program True Duels or Slip-ons | Harley Davidson Forums

True Duels or Slip-ons

PeteINny

:DLooking to modify the exhaust for some noise and was wondering if it was worth the extra cost going to true duels over the slip-on mufflers?
I was looking at Rhineharts. I love the look of true duels however the pipes plus the tuner add quite a bit more dollars to the package. What are the advantages with each? Any input would be greatly appreaciated, especially from the techs. I have a 2008 FLHTP.
Thanks

Slip ons will do the job, I like the Reinharts myself but the true duals you will give up a bit if bottom end torque over the stock head pipes.

Don't have true duals on mine ( and wouldn't put them on ) but many have found this out after spending the $$$ for the true duals that they give up a bit of bottom end TQ with them. Most of the aftermarket slip on's do a fine job unless you are going to a 2 into 1 system.

With true duals, you loose the scavenging that evacuates the exhaust form the other cylinder .

Looking to modify the exhaust for some noise and was wondering if it was worth the extra cost going to true duels over the slip-on mufflers?

I have tried to understand the differance , searched this site and the net since I joined this site.

What is the differance between TRUE DUELS and Slip-ons ????

I have a left and right exhaust( fishtale) with some sort of cross over on my bike . What do I call them ??
I believe the cross over does nothing.

Glider - AWESOME BIKE YOU HAVE. VERY IMPRESSED BY CHROME AND SHINE

I have tried to understand the differance , searched this site and the net since I joined this site.

What is the differance between TRUE DUELS and Slip-ons ????

I have a left and right exhaust( fishtale) with some sort of cross over on my bike . What do I call them ??
I believe the cross over does nothing.

True duals are separate head pipes for each cylinder all the way to the back (no crossover). Slip ons refer to the mufflers that slip on to the ends of the pipes. Stock mufflers cannot be used with true dual head pipes because of the restrictive left side muffler that forces most of the exhaust to the right side for scavenging.
True duals require aftermarket slip ons to be used for the proper flow, however the true duals loose a bit of torque on the bottom end because of the loss of the scavenging in the stock setup because of the "Y" pipe for the rear cylinder.

Stock mufflers cannot be used with true dual head pipes because of the restrictive left side muffler that forces most of the exhaust to the right side for scavenging.

If these are 2 seperate pipes with 2 seperate mufflers how does the exhaust from the left exhaust interfere with the right side unless they both go into one muffler ??

A picture/diagram is worth a thousand words

If these are 2 seperate pipes with 2 seperate mufflers how does the exhaust from the left exhaust interfere with the right side unless they both go into one muffler ??

A picture/diagram is worth a thousand words

It doesn't, only in the stock exhaust does it cross over into the right side.

This is a true dual exhaust, notice the absence of the rear cylinder pipe feeding into the right side, it goes entirely out the left side from the rear cylinder. On a stock system there would be a pipe in front of the transmission cover joining the pipe from the front cylinder.

18000695.jpg

It doesn't, only in the stock exhaust does it cross over into the right side.

This is a true dual exhaust, notice the absence of the rear cylinder pipe feeding into the right side, it goes entirely out the left side from the rear cylinder. On a stock system there would be a pipe in front of the transmission cover joining the pipe from the front cylinder.

18000695.jpg

Now I get it . Makes sense.

Glider I saw pictures of that beast that you ride. AWESOME CHROME AND SHINE !! A REALLY IMPRESSIVE RIDE.

Back