free website stats program Toy hauler | Harley Davidson Forums

Toy hauler

horizonchaser

Contributor
Tomorrow my wife and I are going to take a ride to New Hampshire and look at an 18 foot Toy Hauler that is advertised on Craigs list. It is a 2003 eighteen foot Homesteader trailer. It has ac, microwave oven, cabinets, and the two beds fold up.
We would like to go to a destination and camp at say a KOA or similar, and then ride around and explore the area. If we went on any trip with just the bike it could be a nightmare if, we encounter rain, inclement weather, traffic, etc. She can't do long rides so this option seems like a good alternative for us.
Here's my problem. I have never towed anything in my life, let alone an eighteen foot trailer. :( I did recently buy a Ford F150 ( HD Edition, natch :s ) with the towing package because I thought I might want to get into doing this but I am concerned about towing. Can a normal guy learn to maneuver a trailer without too much difficulty? Is it that hard? What tips do I need to know? My plan is to drive it home ( if I buy it) and practice backing it up over and over again on my property before hitting the open road.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

MN farmboy in my blood...2-wheel trailers are easiest to maneuver/learn. Get yourself some cones & large/empty parking lot. Practice straight backing 1st & then add some Left & Right turns so you can feel the steer/counter-steer. Then set-up your cones and back into "made-up" slots so you can get familiar w/backing around obstacles. A few hours practice & you'll be a pro...then go get a 4-wheel hayrack & try backing...:s

Anybody can tow a trailor going forward, it's not until you back up that it becomes a little tricky. Iceman made some good suggestions. I dont have a lot of trailor experience but what I have I picked up quickly. It's really not as hard as you think. The best thing to do is find an empty parking lot and spend as much time as you need to get comfortable.

You should have no problem it takes getting use to but with an 18' it will be easy. I have pulled a 32' fifth wheel a 23' travel trailer and a popup I also pull a bushtec trailer behind the bike. The wife and I are also looking for a small toy hauler a little cheaper than a motel and camping is a better experience, good luck and have fun.

MN farmboy in my blood...2-wheel trailers are easiest to maneuver/learn. Get yourself some cones & large/empty parking lot. Practice straight backing 1st & then add some Left & Right turns so you can feel the steer/counter-steer. Then set-up your cones and back into "made-up" slots so you can get familiar w/backing around obstacles. A few hours practice & you'll be a pro...then go get a 4-wheel hayrack & try backing...:s
Thanks Iceman. I'll do as you have suggested.
Now just where the heck am I supposed to get a 4 wheel hayrack? :p Borrow one from the farm down the road?

Would that be a narrow toy hauler?..I looked at one that was 6.5 ft...If it is a wide trailer do your mirrors pull out on that truck? Remember it takes longer to stop..Make turns a little wide to keep trailer eather out of the ditch on right turns, or in your lane on left turns....Not a big deal just keep an eye on it..Mt trailer is 8.6 ft wide so when hauling I half to keep my truck a little bit further to the right to keep the trailer from center of road..Take extra care when changing lanes....

You should have no problem it takes getting use to but with an 18' it will be easy. I have pulled a 32' fifth wheel a 23' travel trailer and a popup I also pull a bushtec trailer behind the bike. The wife and I are also looking for a small toy hauler a little cheaper than a motel and camping is a better experience, good luck and have fun.

I bet your popup was the hardest to back..:s....

You should have no problems learning to handle the extra length and weight. You might want to make sure what the towing capacity of your truck is. If I remember correctly the F150 is a 3/4ton. You did not say if the toyhauler is a 5th wheel type or bumper pull. There are some really good load leveling type hitches that can make a world of difference in pulling.

Back