free website stats program Torque wrench | Harley Davidson Forums

Torque wrench

What are you tightening,,,what range. Sears makes a Great wrench for a price that won't break the bank.

I don't do any heavy duty repairs. I was hoping there was one for general maintenence stuff, like oil changes, etc?

Sears Craftsman, Kobalt, Husky are pretty good...if you don't want to break the bank - look at Harbor Freight. Keep in mind - you get what you pay for. I bought a fairly cheap 3/8" in/lb torque from one of the auto stores (OReilly, I think), but it's not the most accurate. Ended up getting a Kobalt 1/2" ft/lb torque on sale & it's 100X better. Will probably upgrade my in/lb wrench too...someday.

I don't do any heavy duty repairs. I was hoping there was one for general maintenence stuff, like oil changes, etc?

You really need to define what your going to tighten with it. A torque wrench used for a compensator bolt or axle nut won't even work below 25 ft lbs. Clicker wrenches are very inaccurate at the low end of the scale, that is why their ranges don't start from Zero up. Example: a 200 ft/lb clicker wrench does not even read below 25 ft/lbs. You really don't want to take a wrench like this and tighten a bolt to 30 ft/lbs.

It's the same reason why electrical multi-meters have several ranges ranges instead of just 1 range.
It has to do with accuracy at "full scale" vs "set point value"

I picked up a Craftsman in lb
Kobalt ft lb

And a screwdriver torgue wrench, for those srecw that only need 10 to 15 lb from Harbor freight, since it is something that does not get used very much

Sears Craftsman, Kobalt, Husky are pretty good...if you don't want to break the bank - look at Harbor Freight. Keep in mind - you get what you pay for. I bought a fairly cheap 3/8" in/lb torque from one of the auto stores (OReilly, I think), but it's not the most accurate. Ended up getting a Kobalt 1/2" ft/lb torque on sale & it's 100X better. Will probably upgrade my in/lb wrench too...someday.

Sunday October 3 6-9 @ sears:D

You get what you pay for pretty much says it all, strip out a drain plug or such would makes your cheep wrench not so cheep anymore. If you cant trust your wrench is accurate there is no point owning it.

Back