free website stats program To sell or not sell is the question | Harley Davidson Forums

To sell or not sell is the question

bignew

It's been a long summer and now fall. I got hit by a loser in May who fled and totalled my bike. To claim all insurance money I purchased a new bike at a great price. I thought my wrist would be healed by now but I have had two now possibly three setbacks due to infections. Each time it hits I lose the little power to grip with my left hand so pulling in the clutch is impossible. I've been warned that further infections could almost render my hand powerless. Been contemplating selling the bike until I am completely healed and saving payment money but concerned I won't find as good a deal next year. Luckily I have been somewhat able to block out the bike when I walk in my garage. Just wondered how long people would hold onto a bike they were financing that they weren't able to ride.

To me it would all depend on circumstances.

First I would look at my cash flow and see if there are any possible unexpected expenses that might come up. Then I would do the math to find out what it is costing me, (insurance, payment interest, etc.) Would I be able to stash the payment cash into a savings account so that it could go against the down payment when I was ready? How much would I loose between what I paid for the bike and what can I sell it for.

Sell/trade for something like a Corvette or old muscle car, that will hold its value till you are able to ride again?

Don't let the situation go to the point of no recovery possible and that may mean selling soon to take advantage of what's left of the riding season in your area. Values go down in winter. That being said, ignore the Dr's suggestions of limited to no movement, rehab the heck out of it, do all you can do health wise to avoid further complications and give the problem over to God so you don't stress over it. Next thing you know you'll be riding and thinking very little of the issue you just went through. If you are in a situation of not being able to afford it til sometime in the future, then sell and there will be another bike/deal in the future for you. I know what it's like being without a bike after riding has become a part of your life but do what you need to. One day soon you'll be riding down one of the prettiest roads in your area thinking, it doeasn't get any better than this.

To me it would all depend on circumstances.

First I would look at my cash flow and see if there are any possible unexpected expenses that might come up. Then I would do the math to find out what it is costing me, (insurance, payment interest, etc.) Would I be able to stash the payment cash into a savings account so that it could go against the down payment when I was ready? How much would I loose between what I paid for the bike and what can I sell it for.

I agree with jafhdo. Look at your cash flow and see what is the best for you. You know your situation better then anyone.

I've been very fortunate that I haven't had to finance my bikes, but if I was recooperating I can't imagine going out to the garage and seeing an empty space. I think for me the bike sitting there would be a type of inducement to do everything necessary so I could get back on it. Your situation has to be very discouraging, and I can only guess how you must feel making payments and not being able to use it. Once you are able to ride you might want to check on the Pingle Air Shifter. Good luck and you will come to an answer for your situation once you have looked at all the things involved.

If able detail then park in a corner of garage covered. As others have said if payment and insurance payments are not a problem then just leave it sit. The fact that the bike will be in your possession and you can still enjoy even though unable to ride it may help in the healing process. By selling bike you are going loose all the way around. If estimated healing time, you will be 100% by spring I would keep bike but make sure its cleaned, battery tender installed, making sure to cover and forget about it. Best of luck to you.

Bignew, I'm very sorry to hear of your dilemma. However, only you will know what is right for you. If you sold the bike would you plan on saving the payment money to put on a bike in the future or would you plan on using the money on other expenses? Is there a possibility that you won't be riding for a period of time? 18-24 months?

Would buying a classic car be better for you? That would be an option that you could enjoy with less physical demands. However, depending on your location, if you are like me, I don't ride much in the winter due to mainly salt and chemicals on the roads and throw in the cold and I just don't enjoy riding. Therefore, you may consider keeping the bike through the winter and see how you feel in the spring; considering the possibility that even if you were healthy enough to ride, you may not log many miles regardless.

The other consideration is will you be able to ride in the future? My nephew who just turned 26 is dealing with this issue right now due to breaking his leg last December while riding a stunt bike. He has finally accepted that he cannot ride the crotch rocket he had due to the damage to his leg. He decided that the best decision for him would be to sell his bike so he bought another four wheeler for his wife to ride. He thinks he may be able to ride a cruiser later on down the road, but for now, he realizes that he needs time to heal the bone. He didn't like the decision, nor does he like the fact that he may never be able to drive a stick shift again, but it is what it is and he is learning to accept it and play with the hand that is dealt.

Lots to consider, I wish you the best. :s Good luck!

Joy has given you both sides of the equation in real terms...the key here is a decision like this takes a lot of thought and weighs heavily on that "nebulous" heal quick question. Finances, personal satisfaction and positive attitude have a lot to do with this, so the key here is be PATIENT, good deals come along all the time and you have plenty of time to make good LATER. Take it easy, do Range of Motion type exercise to maintain mobility and less muscle atrophy. The doctor said stay immobile...I would get a second opinion...MODEST exercises if the bones or ligaments are not damaged will speed recovery due to better blood and lympth system flow. JMO

I think it is a tough call, due to you might lose money from the sale if you have alot invested in add on's
Can thye give you an estimate as to how much longer for recovery, if you nurse your arm?
Then way it out

Back