free website stats program To sell or not sell is the question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

To sell or not sell is the question

I cant give you the answer , but can you live with out the bike and would you want to replace it with a new one once you are ready to ride and you will ride again. This is one thing we all do we adapt and over come, best of luck to you and the decision you will make, Capital Jack:s

It is a hard thing to think about. I'm in a similar situation. I was hit by a car three months ago on my dad's ultra classic (my deluxe is just fine, sorry dad). Shattered my left leg. So I can understand being in the garage staring at your bike wanting nothing more than to get on and go. I'm three months in and at least three more months away from riding the doc thinks. But while I'm not exactly in the best financial situation (especially because I can't work because of my injury), I can't see my self selling the bike. I have so far been able to keep current on it and intend to keep it that way even though it may be the better part of six months before I can ride again. Just the way I feel about it. Good luck and if not always a fast recovery, a complete and succesful one. I've learned that it's just better to do what the docs tell me even if it seems slow, if it means I'll ride again, it's worth it.
WAP.gif

It is a hard thing to think about. I'm in a similar situation. I was hit by a car three months ago on my dad's ultra classic (my deluxe is just fine, sorry dad). Shattered my left leg. So I can understand being in the garage staring at your bike wanting nothing more than to get on and go. I'm three months in and at least three more months away from riding the doc thinks. But while I'm not exactly in the best financial situation (especially because I can't work because of my injury), I can't see my self selling the bike. I have so far been able to keep current on it and intend to keep it that way even though it may be the better part of six months before I can ride again. Just the way I feel about it. Good luck and if not always a fast recovery, a complete and succesful one. I've learned that it's just better to do what the docs tell me even if it seems slow, if it means I'll ride again, it's worth it.
WAP.gif
I don't want to discourage you, but my nephew just got released from his doctor about a month ago, and now they want to go back in and take some of the screws out. He has developed a 'goofy' gait the way his left leg has to 'flop' out when he walks, but he is getting along. He shattered his tibial/fibial plateau. Take your time, let the bones, muscles and tendons heal. I know it is hard to accept now, but in the end, it is worth it. I tell my nephew probably three times a week that the doctors have done this before, he isn't the first for them; they know what he needs to do to heal. :s

For the record, he did take his bike out while he was still using a crutch, but between the vibrations and the angle that he had to put his leg, he paid dearly for it after every ride. The nephew is now talking about maybe next summer trying a bike again. That will be about 18 months from the original break. IMO, he is now being realistic. He split his tibia approximately 4 inches down, basically did that by driving his femur through his knee to get to it. The pictures are ugly. My point is depending on the severity of the injury, you have to give it the time it needs to heal. :s (I know it is easier said than done.)

For those in the northern states and most of Canada, winter is approaching and we'll be sitting at the lap top chatting with each other about what we're working on in the garage. I can't believe it's the end of September already.

I say, take the winter to think about it. Take the time needed to heal up. If things don't work out to keep the bike, the spring will bring a better selling price. I hope things work out for you and you heal up just fine. Don't fret too much about the bike and focus on health. Keep on posting questions but, forget about this one until the spring. :D

Thanks joyflyin. Yeah, my tib/fib are both shattered and I mean obliterated, nothing but bone fragments where the breaks are on each bone. I have a metal rod in there from my knee to ankle. Three months out and I'm barely being cleared to put weight on it with a cam boot only. My uncle also told me that as long as I'm getting back on promise that I won't do it too soon. A promise I made to him. I'll wait for the healing process to complete even if it's longer than anticipated. At this point things are looking just "ok" there is the possibility of another surgery (depends on what xrays show next week) but despite it all the bike stays and limp or floppy foot or whatever may come, I'll be riding it again. That's a promise. Hopefully your nephew can just keep his eye on the prize and make it though ok.
WAP.gif

If money is tight and a family to feed you do what you have to do, if it were just me, well I could afford to miss a meal or two to keep the bike. Its good modivation for recovery, wishing you the best, get well soon.

Thanks joyflyin. Yeah, my tib/fib are both shattered and I mean obliterated, nothing but bone fragments where the breaks are on each bone. I have a metal rod in there from my knee to ankle. Three months out and I'm barely being cleared to put weight on it with a cam boot only. My uncle also told me that as long as I'm getting back on promise that I won't do it too soon. A promise I made to him. I'll wait for the healing process to complete even if it's longer than anticipated. At this point things are looking just "ok" there is the possibility of another surgery (depends on what xrays show next week) but despite it all the bike stays and limp or floppy foot or whatever may come, I'll be riding it again. That's a promise. Hopefully your nephew can just keep his eye on the prize and make it though ok.
WAP.gif
That is all very familiar; metal rod, floppy foot and all. :s The nephew is doing pretty well overall, not sure of your age, but when you are 26 and bullet proof, or so you think, it is hard to accept the fact that your recovery will take so long, and that you will have to adapt to certain limitations down the road. But, he is a good kid and if you beat on him long enough, you can finally pound some sense into his hard head. :D That's what his aunt Joy does while his mother wants to baby him, eventually I get through.

Use your head & listen to the docs. Don't jump on the bike too soon, I bet you know how I know that one.

Back