free website stats program Tired Butt | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tired Butt

It has held up for over a year. I did it in April of 2008 and haven't touched it since.

The gel/memory foam is a little difficut to shape. I used one of those box cutter/razor blades that you can extend really far out of the holder. It stays sharp and the long length help when you shave and taper the foam. I spent a lot more time than I needed to shaping the foam. It does not need to be perfect. You get compression from the plastic wrap that is on the seat (just under the stock seat, vinyl cover) as well as the vinyl itself when you pull it and re-staple it. This smooths out the foam irregulareties from shaping a great deal. Thickness is what matters most and as long as you are close and pretty even, it will be fine. Also, I did add pieces of different density foam in different areas. I cut them so they were snug as I pulled the plastic and cover back on. They have not shifted or moved at all. No glue was used.

I and 6'4" weigh 238lbs without my riding gear on. The seat works well for me for up to 3 tanks of gas, getting off just to refuel. I don't expect the seat foam to last forever, they all break down from compression, but so far so good! Now that I have a pattern that works for me, getting new foam and cutting it out will be really easy. I will miss the stares from everyone as I drove around with foam and shrink wrap under my butt at 70 mph for about a week to get it just right!

I and 6'4" weigh 238lbs without my riding gear on. The seat works well for me for up to 3 tanks of gas, getting off just to refuel. I don't expect the seat foam to last forever, they all break down from compression, but so far so good! Now that I have a pattern that works for me, getting new foam and cutting it out will be really easy. I will miss the stares from everyone as I drove around with foam and shrink wrap under my butt at 70 mph for about a week to get it just right!

I was going to ask about that! :lolrolling

I have also shaped my own seats. May I suggest, instead of using the knife that you used. Use an electric carving knife. Like the type you would use for carving turkey. Dont let mama catch you using it!
The cut will be consistent. I have made my own seats from the pan up. I did it for myself. It is a lot of work.

15737_1182409597854_1156624144_30505994_381566_n.jpg

15737_1182409517852_1156624144_30505992_7489959_n.jpg

15737_1182409637855_1156624144_30505995_437487_n.jpg

15737_1182409557853_1156624144_30505993_2810003_n.jpg

15737_1182409677856_1156624144_30505996_562407_n.jpg

It has held up for over a year. I did it in April of 2008 and haven't touched it since.

The gel/memory foam is a little difficut to shape. I used one of those box cutter/razor blades that you can extend really far out of the holder. It stays sharp and the long length help when you shave and taper the foam. I spent a lot more time than I needed to shaping the foam. It does not need to be perfect. You get compression from the plastic wrap that is on the seat (just under the stock seat, vinyl cover) as well as the vinyl itself when you pull it and re-staple it. This smooths out the foam irregulareties from shaping a great deal. Thickness is what matters most and as long as you are close and pretty even, it will be fine. Also, I did add pieces of different density foam in different areas. I cut them so they were snug as I pulled the plastic and cover back on. They have not shifted or moved at all. No glue was used.

Thanks for the electric carving knife application!

That's what I love about this board! There is almost always someone with tip that seems so simple and obvious after I hear it, but I would have never thought of it myself!:D

Nice work on the seat by the way!
I like the color.

Back