free website stats program Tired Butt | Harley Davidson Forums

Tired Butt

hijack261

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic and am not satisfied with the seat. After an hour riding I feel like I am sitting on the frame. Kills the old tailbone. Any suggestions for a better seat will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Thanks for the quick comeback. Had the bkke 26 months 15,00 miles. My son lives in Madison. Assistant coach for the Badgers.

A friend of mine uses am AirHawk He swears by it. Or do like I did & buy a Mustang Seat with drivers backrest.

I went with a Mustang seat for mine. Talking to Maysflyboy last month at Biketoberfest he went with the Airhawk and loves it. And I have heard good things about Mean City Cycles too. As usual too much info and too many choices. I went through this just before I bought the Mustang seat.

Tough call. For cost issues, it looks like Airhawk is the cheapest, followed by the Mean City mod, with a new Mustang/Corbin seat being the most expensive. The Airhawk stays with you if you sell the bike and is supposed to actually be a little cooler in hot weather. Unless you have another seat, you're not riding while Mean City has your seat for the mods. Mustangs are supposed to have a bit of a break in period but everyone I know who has one loves it. Like I said, tough call.

Here's another question - do you have a backrest and highway pegs? They help immensely on longer rides and allow you to change your position occasionally and help eliminate hot spots.

I bought some gel pad material and some foam from Walmart. The pads are from a yoga mat and a "gardening pad". They are a soft, gel-like pad with a "closed cell foam" material, so they will not absorb water.

The theory I used to make the "new pads" was sort of counter intuitive. I didn't really put any material/padding where I had a sore spot. I left that area "open" but left foam in the area around that spot to proved support and relieve the pressure point.

I used my design for a while to make sure it worked. I used some shrink wrap to attach the pad to the top of my seat while I was riding. Once I got the design I wanted, I took my old seat off and swapped out the padding.

The stock seat cover on my 07 UC was really easy to remove. Just a few staples, so a tack puller and needle nose pliers are all that is needed. I just used a staple gun with 3/8" staples to put the cover back on.

I just removed the staples to free up the padding under my portion of the seat. I left the passanger section alone. You just peel back the seat cover, then there is a plastc membrane/sheet to keep water out. Then you will see the cheap foam. It it really not hard to do. A little time shaping and snipping. The seat cover when pulled tight and stapled keeps everthing in place. Cost me $28 total.

To me the key was NOT adding padding to a sore spot. You need to lift/support the areas around it.

Lotsa choices to make huh?........just a coupla things to consider.
Gel cell retains heat. Look for lower back support when looking at seats and last but not least, the most padded seat is not always the best for your back end. Your Harley touring saddle is likely one of the softest padded seats avalible. Corbin gets my vote but they are pricey and take some getting used to.

I bought some gel pad material and some foam from Walmart. The pads are from a yoga mat and a "gardening pad". They are a soft, gel-like pad with a "closed cell foam" material, so they will not absorb water.

The theory I used to make the "new pads" was sort of counter intuitive. I didn't really put any material/padding where I had a sore spot. I left that area "open" but left foam in the area around that spot to proved support and relieve the pressure point.

I used my design for a while to make sure it worked. I used some shrink wrap to attach the pad to the top of my seat while I was riding. Once I got the design I wanted, I took my old seat off and swapped out the padding.

The stock seat cover on my 07 UC was really easy to remove. Just a few staples, so a tack puller and needle nose pliers are all that is needed. I just used a staple gun with 3/8" staples to put the cover back on.

I just removed the staples to free up the padding under my portion of the seat. I left the passanger section alone. You just peel back the seat cover, then there is a plastc membrane/sheet to keep water out. Then you will see the cheap foam. It it really not hard to do. A little time shaping and snipping. The seat cover when pulled tight and stapled keeps everthing in place. Cost me $28 total.

To me the key was NOT adding padding to a sore spot. You need to lift/support the areas around it.

Awesome!! How long ago did you do this? I'd love to know how the home made version holds up over time. Sounds like you basically did what Mean City does for you.

I might have to pull my old stock seat down off the shelf and try this. Stock SG seat looks awesome but I could only sit on it for 30 or 40 minutes so I ordered a Sundowner. Sure would be nice to slap my "modified" stock seat back on for local cruising.

Back