free website stats program Tire replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire replacement

GimmeFuel

When is it time to replace my rear tire? I don't know how many miles are on these tires. The bike was used when I got it. Anybody?

The manual for my 2008 says to replace when tread thickness is 1/32". My state requires replacement at 2/32". Most dealers will try to sell you a new tire at 3/32". Stay legal and comfortable.

The manual for my 2008 says to replace when tread thickness is 1/32". My state requires replacement at 2/32". Most dealers will try to sell you a new tire at 3/32". Stay legal and comfortable.

Ok. I don't really have anything that measures to the 32nd of an inch. Is there anything else I can go by?

For me, I DO NOT like "unknowns". Why be going down the highway on your HD wondering about the tire? Also, when you get a new one verify that it is the proper load rating.

Insert a penny in the tire tread. Abe's head first. The top of his head is 2/32 .
At 2/32 there should also be moulded "bars" in the tread.
They will show up when you wear down to that tread depth.

For me, I DO NOT like "unknowns". Why be going down the highway on your HD wondering about the tire? Also, when you get a new one verify that it is the proper load rating.

+1 What it costs for a tire, compared to orthapedic surgeon, hospital bed, time off of work, etc. But, I have known some people that just love to play the odds. I have a friend that rides an old sportster with cords popping out of the treads. Seems like he is not happy unless he is pushing the envelope and risking something.
Is it just so he feels like he is getting away with something? Likes the thrill of the eminent danger? I don't know, he wouldn't even take the old tire from my sporty which was in way better shape then what he had, probably by at least 3-4,000 miles worth, but it is something that I considered garbage.
Your bike, your butt, your call.

When is it time to replace my rear tire? I don't know how many miles are on these tires. The bike was used when I got it. Anybody?

For the front and rear, what tires are on there now? Read the date code on the sidewall near the bead (4 digit number in a "bubble"). Let us know about that info as well as the amount of tread left in the center of the tires.

TQ

The "law" on tire tread is not hwat I would go by at all. In this case I don't "trust" that Big Brother is telling us that we are totally safe with 2/32" (which by the way they can't even reduce fractions, so what does that tell you?). 2/32" is just where a group of legislators decided would be fair to start ticketing people.

Insert a penny in the tire tread. Abe's head first. The top of his head is 2/32 .
At 2/32 there should also be moulded "bars" in the tread.
They will show up when you wear down to that tread depth.

+1

However, another thing to consider is the age of the tire. How old is it? With age tires will harden thereby reducing traction. Additionally, there may be dry rot on the sidewalls despite having lots of tread left.

There was also an article in the recent "Iron Butt" magazine discussing tire traction. Loss of tread depth actually increases traction... on dry, clean roadways. The tread is only there for wet conditions to get water out of the way to prevent hydroplaning. There was no decrease in traction until the tire wore through to the cords. It increased again once it wore through the cords. Of course, once it gets close to the cords there is an increased risk of puncture. With all that said... I replace mine at close to 2/32".

Back