free website stats program Tire directional arrow | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire directional arrow

Trapshooter

I just noticed this even on my wifes bike (07 Heritage) that the front tire's rotational arrow is pointing the wrong direction. We purchased the bike a month or so ago used, it had 4400 miles on it. I really don't think the previous owner put a new tire on so it must have come from the MOCO that way. What kind of issues will it cause being on backwards??? Should I be overly concerned???

I just noticed this even on my wifes bike (07 Heritage) that the front tire's rotational arrow is pointing the wrong direction. We purchased the bike a month or so ago used, it had 4400 miles on it. I really don't think the previous owner put a new tire on so it must have come from the MOCO that way. What kind of issues will it cause being on backwards??? Should I be overly concerned???

Yes. Especially in the rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your biggest issue would be riding in wet conditions as the tire will lose its ability to shed water making hydroplaning a real possibility. I would bet any HD dealer you showed that to would remount it free of charge if it is the original tire.

Yes. Especially in the rain. Remove frt wheel and reinstall properly. Tire does not need removed if valve stem is on left side. If so wheel is on backwards.

Single front brake rotor on the Heritage would make that hard to do unless I am missing something?

Single front brake rotor on the Heritage would make that hard to do unless I am missing something?

TripleJ, you're correct, I don't see any way to just turn the wheel around. This bike came with an extended warranty that the orginal owner signed over to me and i still have a few months left on it. Would this qualify as a warranty issue???

that the front tire's rotational arrow is pointing the wrong direction.

Meaning what. You did not say what correct or incorrect is.. Just wondering.

I had a friend who he himself installed a rear tire incorrectly thinking arrow was suppose to point to rear. Yes, it's true.

The tire will definitely not perform properly in wet conditions.

I don't know if the following still holds true on tires these days, but I know at one time it was not a good idea to reverse the rotational direction of the tire. The tire gets a 'set' in the belts from rotating in one direction. ((((
If you change the direction of rotation it now causes the belts to have to flex in the opposite direction to take up the new 'set'. ))))
This weakens the tire.

Again, I'm not sure this still holds true on today's tires. A phone call to any tire shop should clear it up.

Triple J has a good point.

If it's a dealer installed tire, then it's the dealers responsible to fix the situation.

Lots of tire rotational theories out there but I go with you on keeping them rotating in the same direction all their life.

TripleJ, you're correct, I don't see any way to just turn the wheel around. This bike came with an extended warranty that the orginal owner signed over to me and i still have a few months left on it. Would this qualify as a warranty issue???

I would certainly push the issue.

Back