free website stats program Tire directional arrow | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire directional arrow

I would think if the dealer installed the tire that way, they would have to bite the bullet and do it at their expense.

Go into the dealer and ask the service manager if the previous owner had the tires installed at that shop or if THEY installed before the sale. If he answers yes to either question, then tell him the problem but let him commit first.

I just went and looked at the date on the tires. 0207 is the code so I would say they are orginal equipment. The previous owner special ordered the bike so it only makes sense that either the dealer (who just happens to be the same one I bought my new Street Glide from this spring) installed the tires but more than likely it came from the MOCO mounted that way. I will take it by there and follow glider's advice and let them commit first. I also know the previous owner had the dealer do all of his service work so they will have records....

One last thought....given the age of the tires shouold I just consider new ones??

Single front brake rotor on the Heritage would make that hard to do unless I am missing something?

My mistake. I did not realize one rotor. So tire will need to be dismounted and remounted....

My mistake. I did not realize one rotor. So tire will need to be dismounted and remounted....

If I were to make a suggestion to HD how they could improve the Heritage it would be to ditch the chrome hub cap and include a dual rotor set up as on a lot of the other HD's. Not as much stopping power as I would like at times.

If I were to make a suggestion to HD how they could improve the Heritage it would be to ditch the chrome hub cap and include a dual rotor set up as on a lot of the other HD's. Not as much stopping power as I would like at times.

Just to be a devils advocate Triple J, I went through this on my 1976 KZ900 Z1. Long story short, I have a friend who got out of AOL at the right time and built a 2.5 mile race track on his property. Loves to race his cars and bikes on track. I tell him about my 1976 KZ 900 Z1 and how fun it is too ride but have an issue with single rotor on front around track. We put on a dual rotor (1978 KZ1000 like they used on CHIPS) and man my bike would pull to the right. Just like my 1998 FLSTC, rotor on front was on left, and rear rotor was on right. Was very balanced when used together, but when I used the dual on front of my KZ900, that bike would pull like crazy to the right. Maybe the HD designers know more than we do about the heritage chrome hub cap??? Any thoughts Members (I know my experience came from a Kawasaki).

Tyre being fitted with the wrong rotation would be an mot failure in this country so it is dangerous
personally i would replace the tyre and ensure the new one is fitted correctly just for safety sake

Brian

Just to be a devils advocate Triple J, I went through this on my 1976 KZ900 Z1. Long story short, I have a friend who got out of AOL at the right time and built a 2.5 mile race track on his property. Loves to race his cars and bikes on track. I tell him about my 1976 KZ 900 Z1 and how fun it is too ride but have an issue with single rotor on front around track. We put on a dual rotor (1978 KZ1000 like they used on CHIPS) and man my bike would pull to the right. Just like my 1998 FLSTC, rotor on front was on left, and rear rotor was on right. Was very balanced when used together, but when I used the dual on front of my KZ900, that bike would pull like crazy to the right. Maybe the HD designers know more than we do about the heritage chrome hub cap??? Any thoughts Members (I know my experience came from a Kawasaki).

Very interesting. I would like to have seen the pressures generated from each caliper during braking to see if they were equal. I have met a couple guys that have removed the chrome hub cap and non complained of that creating a pull so that makes me think it is just decorative. But adding another disc up front could be a whole different ballgame.

Wow how stupid.
Simply put the tires are mounted on the rims backwards.
No you can't reverse them now, do to radial belt set.
Yes they will cause hydroplaning if they can't shed water.
You need new tires.
Good luck getting Harley to admit error, Plus your the second owner.
OOOPS, Doom on you. Your out $400.

Wow how stupid.
Simply put the tires are mounted on the rims backwards.
No you can't reverse them now, do to radial belt set.
Yes they will cause hydroplaning if they can't shed water.
You need new tires.
Good luck getting Harley to admit error, Plus your the second owner.
OOOPS, Doom on you. Your out $400.

Yep, went to the stealer today, they said "no warranty on tires". Their recommendation was to put on a new tire given the age not withstanding the directional issue. I do tend to agree with the fact that reversing it now would only make it worse. They quoted me $530 to install two new tires. I have not had time to research the cost but supposedly they will do the install for $10 the balance is for the tires, tubes and rim band. Is that reasonable?

I just put a rear Wide Whitewall Dunlop on Wednesday $206 at an indepentent shop. Dealer was actually $7 cheaper on the tire but $20 higher on the mount and balance. I should mention that I just took the tire to them..

Back