free website stats program Tips for Tank removal on an '08 Road Glide? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tips for Tank removal on an '08 Road Glide?

Hey , for $10 just for S&H, how could you go wrong? :D

It's nice when a member helps others out without making a profit on them.

I agree I just felt the urge to give you a little fun poke in the ribs:D

Mission Accomplished! :bigsmiley8:

That's right...I "got 'er done." :) I just went for a test spin and all works fine. I'd have to say, there was much more to take apart than what one would think (like azpopstr mentioned). I ended up having to remove:

The gas tank (which included the dash panel)
The fairing (which meant removing the front turn signals too)
The fuse block (which meant having to take out the battery completely and disconnecting many of the major plug assemblies - to the rear fender, to the main fuse, and others...I ALMOST had to remove the left side rear exhaust because one of the allen bolts that holds the fuse block in has a "bad" angle to it. Universal joint didn't cut it. Fortunately I had a 1/4" ball-ended T-handle that did the trick)
Once the fuse block was free, you had to cut both of the main wire ties because the fuse block section I needed was beneath the entire wire bundle (of course)...and if you're not familiar with the orange "secondary fuse locks"...you'll need to be. They're easy to take out, just pry one of them straight up and the whole thing will come out.

To access the handle bars enough to fish wires, you have to remove the speedometer cover (no biggie) and loosen the handle bar clamp enough to spin the bars down so you can completely access the hole in the bars (helps a bunch when fishing the wires.)

I mention all this "stuff" so if anyone else wants to do this, you'll know a bit of what you're in for. If you're going to do this, you'd better bring a HUGE bottle of patience (and the manual) with you...You'll need it.

I'll probably order that CD anyway Glider...It would be nice to have around. :)

Well, I'm going to order a pizza and have a beer or two to celebrate a successful install. :cheers

Thanks to all for your suggestions,
Timotwo

Congratulations! I agree with the therapeutic statement, just take your time, & if you have a problem, take a break. :D Good job,

Back