free website stats program Tips for Tank removal on an '08 Road Glide? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tips for Tank removal on an '08 Road Glide?

Timotwo

Hello All,

I need to remove my fuel tank (for running some wires as part of the installation of some heated grips) and am looking for some generic procedures. (like: How to get the dash panel off, etc... I've ordered the manual (poo, poo on me for not ordering it sooner) but it may be a while before it comes in and I don't want to wait to install my grips! :) I'm fairly "mechanically inclined" (I have a '78 Shovel that I'm re-working myself) but I have to be honest. Working on these "new fangled" bikes makes me nervous. I just don't want to overlook something simple. Any help/suggestions (just shy of photo copying the tank removal procedure from YOUR manual) would be appreciated... (Oh, if you didn't get the hint, feel free to copy the procedure from YOUR '08 Touring model manual and attach it!) lol

Appreciate it... Timotwo

1 With the bike running, pull the fuel pump fuse until the bike stalls or remove the fuse and crank the bike. The gas is under pressure and will spray all over if you don't do this. Disconnect the battery after removing the seat.
2 Drain the tank by disconnecting one side of the cross-over hose, plugging the end of the hose and putting a length of tubing over the exposed nipple. If you have the newer style with no crossover, then you have to siphon the fuel out.
3 Remove the console and disconnect the electrical fittings.
4 Remove the fuel line by pulling up on the fitting at the tank and disconnecting the fuel line. It works like a compressed air fitting.
5 Remove the tank fasteners at the end of the tank by the seat.
6 Remove the fasteners at the front of the tank.
7 Lift up the tank slightly to disconnect the electrical connector under the tank.
8 Carefully remove tank.
Reverse the procedure to reinstall and check for any leaks when you are done.

Thanks Glider...That's pretty much what I was looking for. Any specifics on removing the dash panel though? Other than that, I think I've got it. I'll post my results, hopefully, by days end.:eam

Protect the tank with some padding or towels, one slip and it's over. May want to tape them in place too.

Ok...This is turning out to be "fun".:yeahright To make a long story short, I've had to remove the fuel tank, the faring (believe it or not) and (almost) had to take off the left side exhaust! That's where I'm at right now...Trying to remove the "fuse block". (This is proving quite interesting without the manual). I've found the two 1/4" allen bolts and removed them...but I still cannot get the fuse block to come out. Something is still holding it in but no bolts (that I'm aware of). Anyone know what I'm missing? I'm almost done!

Thanks in advance.

Timotwo

I hear ya... :) I DID read the forums before deciding on the grips. Pros and cons to both. We'll see how THIS experiment turns out...I'll surely keep you all posted. I guess the "silver lining" here is that I'm getting intimately familiar with my bike!:D I actually really enjoy working on bikes so it's kinda therapy like. There's just so dang many wires and plastic on these new bikes (compared to the old scoots) I'm afraid to break stuff (not having the manual and all).

So if anybody knows what's left to remove the fuse block, I'd love to hear it...Otherwise, its another trip to the dealer to beg the shop mechanics for insight. (Actually, they've been pretty good...Even took me back into the shop to give some "visuals"...

Anyway...THANKS!!!

I would wait for the service manual, I put a set of heated grips on the girl frienda 08 Sreet Glide and I am a mechanic if it wer'nt for that book I would have never gotten them on. The level of difficulty is pretty high, the farther you get in to the install the more you have to take, apart you will not only be installing a new circut in the bike, you will be removing the "fly by wire" throttle system, the front fairing, seat.... oh well you get the picture. good luck

There's just so dang many wires and plastic on these new bikes (compared to the old scoots) I'm afraid to break stuff (not having the manual and all).

So if anybody knows what's left to remove the fuse block, I'd love to hear it...Otherwise, its another trip to the dealer to beg the shop mechanics for insight. (Actually, they've been pretty good...Even took me back into the shop to give some "visuals"...

Anyway...THANKS!!!

You can contact Gary here for a CD that will show you the entire bike.

HD Manuals - Harley Davidson Community

Hey , for $10 just for S&H, how could you go wrong? :D

It's nice when a member helps others out without making a profit on them.

Back