free website stats program Time for a new Tourer | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Time for a new Tourer

:lolrolling

You guys are too funny... I can't remember what I asked, the talk about cinnamon rolls and omlettes must have thrown my train of thought off track.

I've rented a Road Glide twice. After about 15 minutes of riding you forget it's mounted differently. Much lighter steering feel in slow speed maneuvering without the weight of the batwing added to the handlebars. Didn't get a chance to experience the difference in windy conditions.

I like the sound of the low speed maneuvering being easier. I had the Electra Glide for two years, and it still felt awkward at low speed. Didn't really bother me too much as I didn't expect it to be easy.

The Custom sits an inch lower than the Ultra. Now, if you don't want or use the CB, intercom and rear speakers, I'd go with the Custom with a detachable tour pack. Save yourself a few grand and make it like you want.

I didn't realize the Custom sits a little lower. I haven't seen a Custom and Ultra side by side. I don't really need the CB, and the wife doesn't like the radio on in the car, so I doubt she'd take advantage of the rear speakers. I know she would like an intercom, but I'm not sure I want one. :s

You all have given me lots to think about. It was 60 degrees here again today, wish I would have had time to go by the dealer and take a demo ride. Winter is supposed to return tomorrow, that oughta curb my urge a bit so I can think things through and not buy the first bike I find.

First off, sorry for hijacking your thread but it was all in fun :D

The custom comes with 12" shocks in the rear versus 13" on the Ultra.

I will admit that we don't use the radio, CB or intercom on the RGU. For tunes we use music downloaded on our Iphones paired with the Sena Bluetooth Headsets that have the built in intercom. We tried the HD headsets but did not care them as much as the Sena Units.

Whichever you decide on be sure to get it in time for your Colorado Springs to Glacier National Park trip!

:lolrolling

You guys are too funny... I can't remember what I asked, the talk about cinnamon rolls and omlettes must have thrown my train of thought off track.

I like the sound of the low speed maneuvering being easier. I had the Electra Glide for two years, and it still felt awkward at low speed. Didn't really bother me too much as I didn't expect it to be easy.

I didn't realize the Custom sits a little lower. I haven't seen a Custom and Ultra side by side. I don't really need the CB, and the wife doesn't like the radio on in the car, so I doubt she'd take advantage of the rear speakers. I know she would like an intercom, but I'm not sure I want one. :s

You all have given me lots to think about. It was 60 degrees here again today, wish I would have had time to go by the dealer and take a demo ride. Winter is supposed to return tomorrow, that oughta curb my urge a bit so I can think things through and not buy the first bike I find.

First off, sorry for hijacking your thread but it was all in fun :D

No worries... :D

The custom comes with 12" shocks in the rear versus 13" on the Ultra.

I will admit that we don't use the radio, CB or intercom on the RGU. For tunes we use music downloaded on our Iphones paired with the Sena Bluetooth Headsets that have the built in intercom. We tried the HD headsets but did not care them as much as the Sena Units.

I snuck over to the local dealer on my lunch break today. After sitting on the RG Ultra, I would probably need to put different handlebars on it. It's a bit of a stretch for me. Dealer thought they might be able to twist the stock bars a bit, but I'm not sure that would be enough.

I also compared what it would cost to add a tour pack to the RG custom, and by the time I do that, I'd be pretty close to the Ultra in price (when comparing new bikes). The only preowned RG they have is a CVO and that is waaay out of the budget.

Anyway, the dealer is really anxious to sell their lone remaining 2011 Ultra Classic... it's sweet, two tone Merlot and black. The sales guy said everyone is hyped over the new 103, and if they are buying new, they won't consider a left over 96ci.

I'm all about a good deal, so I might try and negotiate on that Ultra. Without even a flinch he said they would knock $1500 off the MSRP or throw in $1500 in accessories/gear. I'm wondering just how much they might ultimately drop the price.

Whichever you decide on be sure to get it in time for your Colorado Springs to Glacier National Park trip!

That is the plan! We thought about renting a bike in CO, but I'd rather put that $1000 into a new one. :s

As far as the bars go I use Heritage bars. With me being 5'7" the bars come back to me comfortably and aren't so wide I can't make a tight turn with both hands firmly on the bars.

Heck, come on down and you, me, Russ and Don will go to the Mobile store and see if we can't work out a group discount!! :lolrolling:lolrolling:lolrolling

Back