free website stats program Throttle body overhaul | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle body overhaul

Redfish-Joe

Got my bike back Friday after the dealer overhauled the throttlebody on my MM fuel injected RK. The bike runs fine and a 200 mile trip thru country roads I averaged 51 mpg. (Speeds mostly under 55). The problem or annoyance I am having is that it spits back some times. This is when I let off the throttle and ease back into it, like going into a turn. It did it about 6 times yesterday. It never did this before. I had a cold idle problem which is resolved now. I am thinking maybe a small vacuum leak. What do ya'll think?

Respects...Joe

No. Stock 2000 Police bike. I almost forgot, when you pop the throttle, the rpm hangs for a second and then idles back down. Cables have been lubricated.

Got my bike back Friday after the dealer overhauled the throttlebody on my MM fuel injected RK. The bike runs fine and a 200 mile trip thru country roads I averaged 51 mpg. (Speeds mostly under 55). The problem or annoyance I am having is that it spits back some times. This is when I let off the throttle and ease back into it, like going into a turn. It did it about 6 times yesterday. It never did this before. I had a cold idle problem which is resolved now. I am thinking maybe a small vacuum leak. What do ya'll think?

Respects...Joe

Joe,

Since the Dealership was into the intake system to overhaul the throttlebody, it is quite possible that there may be an intake leak. Check this out:

Finding An Intake Leak - Harley Davidson Community

If you do not have an intake leak, then rebuilding the throttlebody may have restored the bike to a leaner condition than it was. You may want to consider a fuel manager like a TFI or similar. This puts the adjustment in YOUR hands. But, adjusting the fuel mixture will likely impact (reduce) your fuel mileage. However, the bike will like it better!!

TQ

No. Stock 2000 Police bike. I almost forgot, when you pop the throttle, the rpm hangs for a second and then idles back down. Cables have been lubricated.

I would drop in in the dealers lap since they just rebuilt the throttle body. You don't want to mess with it if they did the work.

I would drop in in the dealers lap since they just rebuilt the throttle body. You don't want to mess with it if they did the work.

It is warrenty work. and I have an appointment on Friday. I was wanting some input as to confirm my guess. They will try to blow smoke up my tail pipe. It hasn't worked yet, But they keep trying:p. Thanks everybody and Merry Christmas!

Dealer confirmed the throttlebody housing is worn out. One dealer said the TB housing is a on shelf warehouse part, another said the part is discontuined. Since it is a MM injected bike, can it be converted to carb under warrenty or should I take it back to where I bought it (another dealer is looking at it now) and demand they make it right or give me a refund...Thanks for listening.

Respects...Joe

Dealer confirmed the throttlebody housing is worn out. One dealer said the TB housing is a on shelf warehouse part, another said the part is discontuined. Since it is a MM injected bike, can it be converted to carb under warrenty or should I take it back to where I bought it (another dealer is looking at it now) and demand they make it right or give me a refund...Thanks for listening.

Respects...Joe

In my opinion while throttle body injection is not as good as sequential port injection its still better than carbeuration in stock or mild build ups.I would go back to the stealer and demand they make it right!

One dealer said he can get the part from the factory and another dealer said the part is not available from the factory at this time and will be notified when they produce more TB housings. That could be next week or next year. I wonder if the dealers have a parts hotline someone some where should have one on the shelf somewhere.

Respects...Joe

One dealer said he can get the part from the factory and another dealer said the part is not available from the factory at this time and will be notified when they produce more TB housings. That could be next week or next year. I wonder if the dealers have a parts hotline someone some where should have one on the shelf somewhere.

Respects...Joe

hope they can find it for ya. yes it could always be converted to Carb .. but they wont do it under warranty im sure

Back