free website stats program Those Who Went From Stock To Andrews 21's | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Those Who Went From Stock To Andrews 21's

The 21 cams have the same base circle as stock, not that it makes any difference since the OP is using adjustable pushrods.

Just make sure that the lifters are on the base circle when finding 0 lash. Several ways to do that to be sure; pick yours and re-adjust. IIRC, the SE pushrods PN 18404-08) are 24TPI and setting preload at about .130"-.140" should quiet things down. That would be 18-20 flats, or 3 to 3.5 turns. If that doesn't help, time to look at the lifters, althoug, as Bubbie points out, the OEM "B" lifter is the best of the OEM lifter. Having said that doesn't mean one can't go south.

UPDATE:
Readjusted lifters to 19 flats. 1/2 turn more than original setting. Fired up bike and much quieter. I think this took care of things.

Thanx to all for their advice!

Tim

Lifters have basically. .200 travel. Flats and turns are only calculations for thread pitch to obtain litter spring preload. Shoot for 60 percent preload and all will be well. I used 3-1/2 turns on my stock lifters with my 21 cam's and mine is quiet as a church mouse. 7000 miles since upgrade and still quiet with no issues. I also use chrome molybdenum pushrods instead of aluminum for obvious tensile strength reasons and they don't seem to resonate noise as bad either.

Back