free website stats program Those Who Went From Stock To Andrews 21's | Harley Davidson Forums

Those Who Went From Stock To Andrews 21's

propflux01

If you replaced your stock cams with Andrews 21's, did you notice the valvetrain get more 'clicky' than with stock?

I replaced mine ('06 ultra 88CI) with 21's, and SE adjustable pushrods, using the stock lifters. Adjusted per instructions, and seemed to go well.

Not screaming loud, just noticeable now VS stock setup.

opinions?

How many miles on your 06? Maybe should have changed out lifters while you were in there, JMO. Does have a little more pep to her now don't it?

I recently put Andrews 48H cams in my bike, which have .050" more lift than the 21's. They are as quiet as stock. I did put new lifters and adjustable pushrods in.
Andrews cams have been reported to have a .002" smaller diameter base circle than Harley cams. IF you used your old lifters and non adjustable pushrods, you could be getting a little noise from the pushrods not being as "deep" into the lifters as they were originally. Just my thought.

I see you said "adjusted per instructions" so I guess you have adj. pushrods. How many turns (or flats) did you adjust to?

Last edited:
Mouthful: 18K on the bike. Yes, definitely more pep. I have stock exhaust on it, with K&N stage one kit on the intake side, with Dobeck EJK. Idle is a little '"lopey'er" than I like, but acceptable

Breeze3at: I used the SE adjustable pushrod set. Instructions said 2.5 turns which translated to 15 flats. I went one more to 16 total flats. Lifters were stock (B), and put in exact holes, and in exact oil hole locations. It's not stupid-loud, but I do notice it more than when stock setup was there.

Thinking:

The lifters should be the "B" lifter form HD...One of the BEST made for HD....

(if I'm wrong someone will correct me)......................

Question for you...

What did they say to set the pre-load? and Who said it...

IF ME,,,, I'd set the (IF 24 threads per inch) at 3 Full Turns from TRUE "0" lash.

Remember, The lifters were set by STOCK pushrods before... WEARING them a little... Now IF you set them above the place where they were worn (above) you may hear noise...

To solve this problem I WOULD Set them at 3T.5 flats from "0" lash...

I have set mine at .166 using 4.0 T before on the stock HD "B" lifters when I had the same problem (noisy)... 3.5 Turns worked but I went to 4.0T (max) For You,,,,, 3.5 at 24 threads per inch should Quiet them down..should be enough...

This will NOT do any damage to your lifters/valves or work-ability of the lifters.

I just installed Gaterman lifter in my 1-3 build and set them at 3.0 and they sound fine... NEW does make a difference

2.5 has not been my preference but 3.0 to 3.5 T IS my point of working...

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE:
Yes, "B" lifters, and is why I kept them. As for your question, this from the HD instructions,
"1. Adjust pushrods to zero clearance"
"2. Slowly turn the adjusting screw with a 5/16 wrench 2 1/2 complete turns counterclockwise (lengthening the pushrods) as viewed from the bottom."

AS stated, 2.5 Turns equated to 15 "flats" on the nuts, I went one more just to be sure. I am taking it that I should not hear any noise from the valvetrain at all (I understand that some very high lift aggressive cams can sometimes be 'noisy' due to the steep ramps). correct? Perhaps put a few miles on it and re-adjust from scratch?

IF you are sure you started at "0" Lash (is the term) Finger tight from "0" lash and wrenched them 2.5 plus one flat.... I'd just go in and give them a 1/2 turn more.... Half a turn more to make sure they get to the New, Un-worn spot in the used "B" lifter...

I used my lifters for a long time... Stock to 18,000 miles then SE255 installed and went to MY setting of 4.0T using SE adjustables like you are using... NO Noise and Happy...

You should hear Some noise but NOT clanking.... A sewing machine noise is permitted.....:D

Don't be toooooo fussy and be Happy with hearing that motor ... Ride it.

signed....BUBBIE

New cams and pushrods are great improvement and make riding a lot more fun knowing all it takes is a little twist to get the adrenaline flowing, but 18 thousand miles on stock lifters will more than likely be fine with a little more fine tuning adjustment. I guess I just see that part of the motor operation as a 3 part fix. Cams, lifters, and pushrods while things are broken down. It can be followed a bit farther into rocker arms and valves but the latter 2 are more than likely ok. JMO, like Bubbie said, readjust and see what happens. Have fun as I liked my 06 ultra it was a blast.

I did this exact upgrade, used the original lifters and went 16 flats and it is a little noisier than stock but by no means clacky or sounding like anything is wrong. I have loud slip ons on the bike which helps drown out some noise i'm sure but so far the bike runs GREAT with no problems. Love the 21's :s

Back