free website stats program The same old question -which oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

The same old question -which oil?

lowrider1963

I have read many posts about which oils are better and which are not all that great. From the consensus, Mobil 1 looks to be the best synthetic oil for HD. However, I have looked and Mobil 1 for V-Twins is not available in my area (Great Lakes). With that, should I just go to the dealer and use their SE synthetic, or are there better oils that are more common around the area that I could use?

Thanks

From my understanding, the "V-Twin" oil has the necessary clutch disc modifiers in it so it can be used in the primary area and not just the engine crankcase.

I myself don't use the product but read into it because I wanted to know what the difference was between the V-Twin and non-V-Twin. I originally thought the V-Twin must have some EP or extra wear properties but that was not true.

That is how I understand it. Therefore if you plan on using it just in your crank-case, the need to find the V-Twin is not necessary.

Since this is an oil related thread, there may be people out there that disagree. This is what I found after reading through Mobile 1 documentation. Let me know if I am in left field.

Any FULL synthetic made for air cooled, V twins will be better than the HD SYN3. Can you get any Spectro or Amsoil?

Dr. D, I will search and see if they are available. Is one better than the other (Spectro vs. Amsoil?)

I'm a big fan of the Spectro transmission fluid but I use Mobil1 in the engine. If i couldn't get Mobil1, I'd definitely make an effort to find Spectro, even if you had to mail order it.

Here's their website if you want to read up on them, including a dealer locator link:

Spectro Oils of America

From my understanding, the "V-Twin" oil has the necessary clutch disc modifiers in it so it can be used in the primary area and not just the engine crankcase.

I myself don't use the product but read into it because I wanted to know what the difference was between the V-Twin and non-V-Twin. I originally thought the V-Twin must have some EP or extra wear properties but that was not true.

That is how I understand it. Therefore if you plan on using it just in your crank-case, the need to find the V-Twin is not necessary.

Since this is an oil related thread, there may be people out there that disagree. This is what I found after reading through Mobile 1 documentation. Let me know if I am in left field.

I agree. I read everything Mobil has on the 'net. The difference between friction modifiers (zinc and phos.) in Mobil1 15-50 and V-Twin 20-50 is .0004% more in the V-twin. Other properties (flash, etc.) are close, not important (to me) or not published. As I have an oil temp. gauge to keep track of stop and go temps, and change my oil at 3,000 miles, I am comfortable using 15-50. Price was/is considered, but not the determining factor, availability was.
I'm sure there are arguments to be made against it.

Last edited:
I have read many posts about which oils are better and which are not all that great. From the consensus, Mobil 1 looks to be the best synthetic oil for HD. However, I have looked and Mobil 1 for V-Twins is not available in my area (Great Lakes). With that, should I just go to the dealer and use their SE synthetic, or are there better oils that are more common around the area that I could use?

Thanks

Low 63,

I finally found Mobil 1 V-twin at a local Auto Zone. (I'm from Ohio too) Advance Auto does not carry it here and neither does the NAPA store. So if you have an Auto Zone up there, see if they carry it or will order it in for you.
:cheers

9FLHR,
Thanks for the info. Actually I just went out at lunch and picked the Mobil 1 at the nearby Auto Zone. Will be changing oil this weekend as the temps are starting to drop. Won't stop riding thought till the salt goes down!

I put M1 V-Twin in all 3 holes of my bike. 2-5 gears seem to shift better with little noise. Still get clunking going from 2-1 but that seems to be the norm from what I've read. Holding the clutch in for 5-10 seconds before making the switch helps out greatly, so I think I need to adjust it this weekend. Typically, don't have any problem finding Neutral. Everything else is good to go.

If you have a warranty of any kind, don't forget to keep your receipts.

I put M1 V-Twin in all 3 holes of my bike. 2-5 gears seem to shift better with little noise. Still get clunking going from 2-1 but that seems to be the norm from what I've read. Holding the clutch in for 5-10 seconds before making the switch helps out greatly, so I think I need to adjust it this weekend. Typically, don't have any problem finding Neutral. Everything else is good to go.

If you have a warranty of any kind, don't forget to keep your receipts.

Want to Really quiet that trans down? Use Sprectro in the gear box. I myself like the clunk and now miss it. I bet it took out 50% of the "noise" I love.

Back