free website stats program The First Harley-Davidson I Rode | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The First Harley-Davidson I Rode

"In my neck of the woods, North Jersey, all my buds did the same thing!"

Where you from in North Jersey?

Cliffside Park, North Bergen, West New York, Guttenburg and Edgewood.
Lived in CLifton before I joined the Navy:)

Cliffside Park, North Bergen, West New York, Guttenburg and Edgewood.
Lived in CLifton before I joined the Navy:)

I was in the Navy for one day...I was aboard the USS Daniel Webster nuclear sub. At Groton Conn. That was back in June of 1975.

Well actually I was just visiting as my brother in law was a radioman on board. We went out into the Atlantic...did some dives, and it was a great experience. It makes you really appreciate our service people...God love 'em!:hii

I loved looking through the periscope...it was really a treat to hang out with the Navy for one day. The cooks were great as well...We had taco's...yummy

My first Sub was the Daniel Boone, did many of those 1 day cruises for family, VIP's and others during my career. It is fun if you've never done it after the first time going out it's like every other job, just under water:s

In 1974 after just getting out of the army I bought a 1949 panhead that a guy had wrecked.Paid $400.00 dollars for it. After a rebuild and (wish that all it cost today)after $2,000.00 I had one beautiful chopper.Painted it candy apple red,Had it raked 8 over and put on a jammer front end.Molded a sportster tank and a original fat bob fender into the frame.Lots of crome and alittle gold as I ended up working at a metal plating shop.
Man I loved that bike. Could pull the wheel off of the ground in 1st and 2nd gear.God works in mysterious ways though, before killing myself on it he had me meet my wife and she convinced me to sell it so that we could get married and start having children. Man I MISS THAT BIKE!

An old friend had a 42 WLA ex Aust Army in full dress he let me take for a spin in 1974, the year before I enlisted. What a way to get hooked on Harleys. Foot clutch and stick shift, right AND left twist grips, hard tail and virtually no brakes. Had an absolute ball with it. From then on it was rice burners until I could afford my first, yet another WLA.

First ride was on my cousins cushman eagle at age twelve man i felt like i was the man...lol......next ride at thirteen was a 650 triumph bonn. Ithink that was when i really got hooked. My very first bike was a Honda 350 street and trail bought in 1971 out of the paper in chicopee mass. when i was stationed there for 250 bucks.:D

---------- blvd_cruiser edit/added post 5 minutes and 49 seconds later ----------

Oops I guess in the vein of the thread the first Harley I rode was my Brothers Knucklehead chopper......that tried to break my leg starting it...lol...that was 1969 at age 17......He said if you can start it bro you can ride it .......after three bruses and and sore leg i got my first harley ride.

Last edited:
Back