The First Harley-Davidson I Rode

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Randall K. Wilson, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Randall K. Wilson

Randall K. Wilson Junior Member

On reading a number of books on H-D History I thought back to the day I rode my first Harley. It belonged to a gent I worked with. I was a Millwright Apprentice at the time and he rode it to the Trade school we were attending back then. At that time I rode an affordable 1977 Honda 550K in line four cylinder.

However my co-worker friend rode in to school one night on a brand new 1978 XLCR Cafe Racer 1000 CC.

He offered me a chance to jump on and take it for a ride, which I did with much delight. Oh was it much different from what I was used to. Being somewhat concerned and showing respect for this gent I just rode it around the school parking lot (which was huge), and then we went on to class. Even back then I remember that the styling was much different than other H-D models.

Ironically with in a few months his XLCR was wrecked and I don't think the owner ever got it put back together...and that is a long story in itself.

At the time I rode this Harley I never thought of how this model would have somewhat of a distinct history years later. According to one source I have this model was only made in 1977, 1978, and 1979.

Did anyone on our Forum ever own a XLCR ? I just wonder how many of these models were made all total?

2. bwalsh22

bwalsh22 Junior Member

I wasn't even born then, but I'm always interested in Harley history, so rather then work I did a quick search and came up with only 3,123 of these were made in just 2 years for production, 77 and 78, no 79 from what I could tell or they killed it early in the year.

Here is the link to the info 1977 H-D XLCR - Classic Bikes - Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum. Very cool looking bike, wouldn't mind doing one of those as a project.

3. Randall K. Wilson

Thanks so much for sending the link. It sheds much light on the subject....hey, keep an eye out for the boss?:bigsmiley10:

4. Randall K. Wilson

I can see that scenario back in 1971 right now...the Honda Dream "305"?...I remember as a young lad back in the middle 60's, I would loved to have owned one of those...in RED. However for me it was just look, but don't touch.

Speaking of white nuckled rides...I have a friend and his Dad rode big HAWGs, way back. His son was I dare say back then was in his 20's and really not interested in riding and in some ways kind of afraid of motorcycles for that matter. Anyway his Dad kept badgering him to take his big Harley for a ride....The son, who wasn't a very big man and probably weighed less than 150lbs. finally did. When he got back from his short jaunt he was shaking like a leaf. :sd You know kind of like he had seen a ghost or something. Later when his Dad would encourage him to ride it again, he always had this same stock answer..."no Dad, I ain't got enough A$$ to hold that thing up....":dknow

I look back and think it's a wonder my friend didn't have a wreck and get hurt. And you know my pal is 56 now and he has never been back on a motorcycle to this day.

5. artisan

artisan Active Member

i'm new to Harley's,so for me it was the end of August 2006.i parked my crotch rocket out side the local HD dealer & took their 883L demo for a ride.my first thought was "what the heck-its like an old tractor",but after a few miles it was more like "hey i'm riding a Harley Davidson & its absolutley fantastic". by then it was raining & i was soaked to the skin but i didn't care,couldn't stop grinning.
    got back to the dealer & bought my first Harley,an orange 883R.traded that for my nighty & i'm still grinning.
    i just love these old tractors :bigsmiley24:

6. Randall K. Wilson

7. Randall K. Wilson

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

Randall, let's see some pics of the vette you have for sale.:D

9. Randall K. Wilson

OK, I'm hoping from this effort you will get the image you ask for...Let me know? RKW
    [​IMG]

10. Randall K. Wilson

Mr. RichardS, I didn't know if we were supposed to discuss the sale of things on the forum? Spamming?

IF the Town Fathers (glider etc) will give me the "nod". I would be glad to "sing" like a bird....

Would the Town Fathers of our Forum please respond?:worthy:worthy:worthy