TFI install- very happy

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by m1marty, Apr 25, 2010.

1. m1marty

m1marty Member

I installed a TFI kit the other day on my 05 Night Train and it was a breeze to do. I am very comfortable working on older HDs (Pans, Shovel, EVOs) and this being my first FI TwinCam- I was a little nervous it would be a pain in the rear. After watching Dobecks video I did the following:
    - Remove seat
    - Remove neg battery cable
    - Disconnect tank fuel line at the quick connect coupling*
    - Remove rear tank bolt and raise tank (supported with wooden block)
    - Remove AC cover as I have large hands
    - Disconnect injector harness
    - Instal the TFI harness inline from the factory harness and run the cables in the stock wiring harness routing spot
    - Hook up ground strap of TFI while I re-connected the neg. cable
    - Route all the wires nice and neat
    - Drop and re-connect tank
    - Verify settings per Dobecks instructions
    - Fire up the bike and check for leaks. No leaks found and verify LEDs are working as stated in the instructions. All good.
    - Strap seat back on and take for a test ride.

After a few easy miles to fully warm the bike up I started pouring on more throttle. The initial slight bog I had under hard throttle is gone. Decell pops are nearly completely gone (VERY slight every once in a while) Seat of the pants dyno says bike is pulling harder. I can run the gears out a little farther and don't have to downshift near as much. The bike has 9k on it with an SE backing plate, K&N filter, Stage 1 download and SEII exhaust. Prior to the TFI it was pretty dang hot and didn't pull as well as I thought it should. A little stumble here and there, occaisional pops at steady cruise and the ever annoying pops on decell were all indicating a lean condition. The Stage 1download was on the bike prior to me buying it. Knowing how MY bike ran with it- I can say it's good for raising the rpm limit and that's it. I was truly unhappy with how it ran. The TFI made an immediate change in all of that. For the basic work my bike has had done- I can't see the need for anything more than what this provides but- I am not out for the last few ponies either. I will report back what my mileage is (38-44mpg prior to this)
    This is old news for most of you but for other new folks that are thinking about these- I say go for it. Money well spent.:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. walleye

walleye Junior Member Contributor

Welcome to the forum! :) Many here have had similar positive experiences with the TFI, including me. Too many good reviews to deny it's worthiness. Ride safe!
  3. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

I am thinking of this fueler also but mine runs good to me..
  4. glider

glider Veteran Member

It'll run noticeably better with a bit more fuel.:D
  5. Flywheel

Flywheel Account Removed

I installed mine a few weeks ago and what a painless little project ("06" Softail Std). My results are identical to m1marty's. This is one of those try it you'll like it deals.
  6. McQueen1963

McQueen1963 Active Member

Thanks to de advices from Glider and the Forum. I installed the TFI on my 05 Heritage. She runs great
  7. ajjacobs

ajjacobs Active Member

I am assuming the TFi is a piggyback to the factory ECU? If so, will this still work with a stage 1 download from Harley?

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

Yes it is a piggyback and will work with the stage 1 download. The settings will just be lower than the recommended ones that come with the unit. You can always have the download removed and the stock map reinstalled, I don't think the dealer charges for this.

More info on it here...

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community
  9. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

+++ On the TFI - wouldn't hit the street without it. :rider

Makes adjustments after performance add-ons a breeze!
  10. m1marty

m1marty Member

I chose to leave my Stage 1 download for two reasons (3 really)
    1. Raises my rev limit to 6,200. Haven't hit that mark yet but it's nice to know that I can wring it a little if needed.
    2. *IF* the TFI ever fails- I feel comfortable removing it and running the bike back home. With the lean condition I had before even WITH the download- I don't know that I'd run my bike without it in place. Guess I could tape off a part of my filter (Old racers trick to compensate for altitude or jetting problems) if I had to.
    3. I am one of those people that despises most dealerships.