free website stats program TFI install- very happy | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI install- very happy

looks like ill be saving up to get tfi. I'm one of those guys who almost always buys used but electrical stuff not so good to do. I just do not want to loose any mpg..

looks like ill be saving up to get tfi. I'm one of those guys who almost always buys used but electrical stuff not so good to do. I just do not want to loose any mpg..

In all fairness, Since I'm so Vocal on this Subject (positive), I will say: Most times you will LOOSE mpg and it is because the HD is Way to Lean out the door from harley... Many 96" bikes get 45/50 mpg right off the floor...? Why is that? TO LEAN!

The lean running HD is great for mpg and heating valves and pistons to a Crusty White over time, cooking your Leg in the process.. So why give up a FEW mpg to remedy the LEAN problem???
I want MY motor to run Correctly and not be a PIG in a POKE. I want to Turn the Horse Power LOOSE that is DESIGNED in the 96" motor.

I did drop to around 40+ from a constant 45/46 on my 09 FLHR by installing the TFI.. Most of the drop is from My Right Hand!
I know I could lean it Back Out on the TFI a little BUT don't because I like the Response the Bike has Now.

Now I have a good running Bike in My Book!!!

signed....BUBBIE

I chose to leave my Stage 1 download for two reasons (3 really)
1. Raises my rev limit to 6,200. Haven't hit that mark yet but it's nice to know that I can wring it a little if needed.
2. *IF* the TFI ever fails- I feel comfortable removing it and running the bike back home. With the lean condition I had before even WITH the download- I don't know that I'd run my bike without it in place. Guess I could tape off a part of my filter (Old racers trick to compensate for altitude or jetting problems) if I had to.
3. I am one of those people that despises most dealerships.

Marty, sounds like you have everything covered...but do work on finding a good dealership...if time requires you need warranty or specialized service, a good pro will put you far ahead of most riders, if you get into a jam and cannot time to do the work as you normally would. You have taken the first steps...enjoy the reading after riding will get you a long ways...relationships are made to last...! :p

I just received a call from my Sheriff friend down in Az.

He just installed the TFI on his 08/street glide... Saying all the good things about power improvements and then he mentioned his wife Noticed a big difference in the "Lack of Heat"... She said she felt a lot More Heat coming up on bike before the installation... Now, a Lot Cooler...

He took over the bragging rights on the TFI for now! Nothing like a happy biker!

Another friend of mine (ours) down there in Az. (retired cop) Just bot a New Police w/sidecar from HD..(must miss his res and blues)
He has his TFI and is getting ready to put it on his new ride. Now that is a HD 103" bike. waiting to hear back from him.

Lot of Happy People who are using it...

I should be a sales rep. Oh funny me, I guess I already am!

no pay but happy friends, Can't beat that!

signed....BUBBIE

I have a collection of things to put on at 17K, and the TFI is one of them. I also bought the piece-part screaming eagle air cleaner that I found listed else where on this site. I have a real itch to finish up my Stage-1 and see what happens. Results to be posted in a couple of weeks.

I'm waiting to do the work, because I have to lift the fuel tank to do several tasks, so I'm waiting to do it all at once. The mileage barrier is due to the new Harley speedo/tach combo that I had set to 17K from the factory. If the odometer of the new doesn't match the odometer from the old, you have to set the new to zero, by fed statute, so I'm waitin'...

I already have a set of Hooker tuned flow slip-ons, tuned for torque, installed. The rest of related stuff is stock. She tends to the lean side. I intend to install the TFI and tune for what is there now. That way I can see if she sweetens up as is. Then I'll put on the SE airbox, and see what I get from that.

At 20K, it's time to start looking at the cam-chain tensioners. If I'm going in to look, I might as well do the roller chain/hydro-tensioner conversion. She'll get Andrews 26N cams at the same time, to complete my stage-2.

You guys are the greatest. Thanks for the help and advice...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Marty, sounds like you have everything covered...but do work on finding a good dealership...if time requires you need warranty or specialized service, a good pro will put you far ahead of most riders, if you get into a jam and cannot time to do the work as you normally would. You have taken the first steps...enjoy the reading after riding will get you a long ways...relationships are made to last...! :p

I have an indy shop that I do some projects in (in exchange for shop space) so I have it covered there. I will sometimes stop at the stealer if I need an off the wall part in a hurry but other than that I'm not much for boutique shopping for the newest clothes and chrome doo-dads. Mother MoCo sure makes the coin on it but it's not my style.:s
As far as the forums go- good, easy to use place for info on the new stuff. I like it.

I also installed a tfi unit and K&N RK3909 last month with the SE slip-ons that have been installed for a while, what a difference, most of the decelleration popping is gone and I got a pretty good pop in performance, I did average 45-46mpg before and now the millage is 42-43mpg, not a bad comprimise, all in all I have to say I'm very happy also.

Kevin

I forgot to mention that I also installed a 18" windshield at the same time so that may account for some of the drop in mileage.

Kevin

Back