free website stats program TFI conflict with EITMS | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI conflict with EITMS

Mavagrand

I recently had an issue where my bike began running rough when the EITMS kicked on, she would sputter and eventually stall if I didn't roll on the throttle. I noticed this began after I had installed the older model TFI. I assume the TFI combined with the EITMS create a rich condition which causes this problem. Is there a solution? Can I turn down one of the pots to lean out the AFR at idle?

Try switching the leads from the TFI on the cylinders (injectors). The TFI picks up its power source from the #1 (front) cylinder and if you have the TFI leads reversed, when the rear cylinder cuts off with the ETIMS, so does the power source for the TFI.

I can see how that would happen since when EITMS kicks in it richens the mix which added to the TFI could end up being too rich. Hopefully Glider's solution will do the trick.

I personally keep my EITMS off, since I see no real good that it does except to notify me that the engine is overheating and I need to turn it off. I generally will only run my engine so long without moving before I turn it off. Just the way I am.

Admittedly the EITMS will give the rider's thighs some relief (which is what HD states in their PDF as the reason for it's creation). But all the while the front cylinder is still overheating. I know some folks say that the oil from the rear cylinder will cool the front cylinder. But the heads in most HD engines do not get any oil circulation. Overheating can ruin sensors even if it doesn't cause any cylinder scaring or gasket damage. I just won't run mine that long (unless I buy a water cooled tourer) and I don't have any use for EITMS.

Please note that with EITMS the injector connector that should go to the front jug is the one that has 2 red wires to the single connector pin. That is the connector that the TFI gets its power and primary drive from. Except for EITMS, it does not matter which connector goes to which injector.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Please note that with EITMS the injector connector that should go to the front jug is the one that has 2 red wires to the single connector pin. That is the connector that the TFI gets its power and primary drive from. Except for EITMS, it does not matter which connector goes to which injector. Enjoy, Rich P

Well this is interesting, in other words if he has it plugged in wrong then the TFI is shutting off during HeatMode. I was previously thinking that IF the TFI was still running a double richness was being applied. But this could only be the case IF he had them connected correctly.

I surmise what Glider was originally saying was that the engine would stall if the TFI shut off. Wonder why that would happen at an idle? Seems if the TFI shut off it would still idle on the original ECM ? Anyhow I guess we will know when he checks his connections.

Also in the Doebeck link Glider posted, it states the heat mode in touring models of 2010 ? Heat mode was in Dynas also and back as far as 2007. Granted it had to be turned on (or off) by the dealer until TBW came along but it was there none the less. I have it on my 07 Dyna.

Hope to hear back from Mavagrand asap whether switching the connectors helped the issue.

R_W_B is correct that the EITMS has been around longer on other models, but is has functioned differently. To our knowledge it's not until the newer Touring models where they actually shut off the rear cylinder which will affect our unit functionality.

Glider and RibEye are correct about how our units power up. We've always listed that it didn't matter which connector you plugged into which cylinder, but we may have to change our instructions. Our wiring scheme is the same throughout all our models: TFI, GEN 3, GEN 3.5, and GEN 4. Our channel 1 circuit has a yellow and red wire going into the male connector. We have a white with yellow stripe along with a double pinned red wire into the female connector and we do pick up our power for the unit on this channel.

We tend to agree with R_W_B comment that most could just shut off the EITMS.

..... ....
R_W_B is correct that the EITMS has been around longer on other models, but is has functioned differently. To our knowledge it's not until the newer Touring models where they actually shut off the rear cylinder which will affect our unit functionality.
. . .. .. .. ... .. .

Well that is interesting. I've never heard that aspect before in reading the HD specs. Actually if that is true I would be more agreeable to EITMS and might actually turn it on since that would only leave the idle drop and richen of the mix aspect of EITMS which I agree WOULD help total (idle) heat management.

Thing is I thought that aspect of it was on all the time by default as Smitty showed me a link on that once, and the other (rear cyl shut off ) was optional on and off. But admittedly the info was not totally definitive but did elude to that.

I have experienced the lowered idle a few times in hot weather traffic stops, I have never experienced the rear cylinder shut down, but then I won't leave my engnine on much longer than a 2.5 min traffic light in hot weather or it goes off.

It's possible I may not have a rear cylinder shut off, however my dealer told me he would turn it on or off for free if I wanted it checked.

In any case if I had to choose between EITMS and TFI, my choice would be TFI since it helps cooling over the entire spectrum of operation, not just the idle.

So we are waiting on when Mavagrand has a chance to try switching his plugs. I think he is still on a trip so it may be awhile. And hope you are having a great trip there by the way Mavagrand. It's raining the last two days down here in our area of Florida (he lives about 30 miles further south of me).

OK, I switched the TFI around to the way you guys have recommended. Florida is in it's usual summer weather pattern so I haven't had a chance to ride yet. I should be able to get out Saturday and will be able to tell then. RWB, my trip doesn't start until Sept.3 but, in spirit I'm already gone!!

Back