free website stats program TFI conflict with EITMS | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI conflict with EITMS

... .. .. .. ..
Florida is in it's usual summer weather pattern so I haven't had a chance to ride yet. .. .. .. ... ....

Boy you can say that again. Rain comes up almost out a clear sky at the drop of hat lately and then will leave and come back 4 times in one day. I'm sittun here right now lookin out the window towards south where you live and it looks like dark serious thunderheads.

Boy you can say that again. Rain comes up almost out a clear sky at the drop of hat lately and then will leave and come back 4 times in one day. I'm sittun here right now lookin out the window towards south where you live and it looks like dark serious thunderheads.

Sitting here reading this forum, watching Pirates of the Caribbean AND listening to my windows rattle from the thunder. I expect to lose electricity sometime during the night. That's OK, though, we make up for it come the spring and fall...perfect weather in Florida then.

Got a chance to ride the bike today. It went into heat management and the bike did NOT stall or sputter, she ran as designed when in heat management. Switching the TFI wires solved the issue. I'll leave it up to you guru's to figure out why....I'm just glad I can leave the EITMS on.

Got a chance to ride the bike today. It went into heat management and the bike did NOT stall or sputter, she ran as designed when in heat management. Switching the TFI wires solved the issue. I'll leave it up to you guru's to figure out why....I'm just glad I can leave the EITMS on.

It's because the TFI gets it's power from the wires that you hooked to the front cylinder.If it was hooked to the other pair of wires, the TFI goes dead when the heat management kicks in thereby changing all the programmed fuel settings on the TFI back to stock settings until heat management is over and the programming returns to the standard settings where both cylinders are firing again giving power back to the TFI unit.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/tfi_tuner_information/41816-tfi_plug_positions.html

It's because the TFI gets it's power from the wires that you hooked to the front cylinder.

Harley Davidson Community

But why doesn't the bike flood out now? The TFI is adding more fuel at the same time that the spark has been retarded by the heat management. I would think the rear cylinder would flood.

Oh by the way, great one, I have a question for you in the electrical section too> :bigsmiley24:

The valves are still operating in heat mode and the fuel that does get in there just passes through the cylinder. Possibly because the injector is disabled too? :D

Oh by the way, great one, I have a question for you in the electrical section too> :bigsmiley24:

Been there already! :D

We've had six weeks or so over the century mark with any rain evaporating BEFORE it hits the ground! Brutal.

TQ

I've heard on newer models the rear injector shuts down in total heat mode so it's only air pumping thru the rear. The earlier models were said to still have fuel pumping which made a distinct smell so (the way I read it) the newer ECM's shut the fuel off to the rear during that time. Don't remember exactly where I read this so don't know for sure if it's true.

I also remember reading that just before total heat mode the ECM does a pre heat mode where it richens the fuel a tad and drops the rpm down to 900. If the bike continues hot it then goes into full heat mode rear cyl shut down. I have experienced the pre-heat mode myself at 3 min traffic lights but never full heat mode. You can detect the lower rpm and motor starts to sound like it's got a high lift cam, but you can still hear both cylinders firing.

Mavagrand does your bike go into heat mode often ? I would be concerned about that. Course I won't run mine much longer than 2.5 mins of stop time before I shut mine off. You can end up with a blown CPK sensor from overheating.

RWB, she used to go into heat mode frequently. One time last year I was in lakeland up there by the old mall (near Pepboys) heading south. It was August and hot. The bike would go into heat management at every light. I took it by the HD shop in Lakeland. Glenn tested it and said the HM was kicking in at the right temperature, said everything was "normal". That was before my Stage 1 and oil cooler. She doesn't go into HM near as often now.

Back