Inner looks about the same

Attachments

• Motorcycles 023.jpg
    Motorcycles 023.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Motorcycles 024.jpg
    Motorcycles 024.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 65
If you are in there and can afford it now is the time for the upgrade. The weather is in your favor now.
kemo

If you are in there and can afford it now is the time for the upgrade. The weather is in your favor now.
kemo

ARE YOU KIDDING????

The weather HERE in washington (western) has been WARMER than UNUSUAL!!!

OVER 60 degrees yesterday and at 10:30 am today, SUNNY and 55 degrees... probably not even a shower away from the coast.

I plan a ride soon today..WHAT a WARM EL NINO year and POOR california need RAIN but not ALL at ONCE.... and for WEEKS on end.. SORRY CAL.

HERE in the FOOT HILLS,,, 26 miles RADUS off of MY Rainier , it get a LITTLE WINDY so WARM and WIND have to get together putting the KYBOSH a lot of times to a FUN ride.

I never like riding in the WIND being warm or cold...

I agree with the pictures I say,,, NO CHUNKING like on my OLD 2000 DYNA but have to agree and if I replaced i would go with the NEWER STYLE KIT that up-dates to HYDRAULIC and HIGH volume OIL PUMP n PLATE and more.

HMMMMMMmmmm maybe a cam change also while in there.
power lots of POWER....

signed....BUBBIE

I'm with Kemo, since you're in there and if you have the $$$ why not do it now, it only takes half a day and if you want to wait they look like they'll do fine for a while.

Duffer, make that 3+ for doing the deed, but as your fellow Washingtonian Bubbie says ya could do even more IF you are so inclined!:newsmile093:

The tensioners don't look bad, but I have to agree with other posters, now is the time to do it. Replacing these tensioners is unfortunately not a matter of "if" but "when". I don't claim any expertise here, but from what I have gleaned, the trouble stems from the unpredictability of wear. I did mine about 15 months ago, and haven't regretted doing them.

Yeah, Bubbie, it’s been killing me, missing out on some very rare winter riding opportunities, while my ride is torn apart.
Thanks guys. I just needed a little push.
Just got back from local HD dealership. I didn’t understand why the SE upgrade had the outer roller chain but retained the old inner. Now that I know I have to go to the new style cam to get the inner roller chain I can’t see keeping the old cam ( another + for Bubbie). Would seem like only doing half the job.
So is there a part # for an SE upgrade kit w/ the inner roller chain and cam plate for new style cam? I can’t seem to find one and forgot to ask the parts guy. He also suggested the SE255 cam. Looking for low to mid range umph without getting to radical. Input welcome
Adjustable pushrods, Torrington- Timken inner bearings, B lifters (because of new cam) a given.
Now here is a little spice on my food for thought. After I got done with the parts guy I paid a visit to the service dept. They tell me they are having a special, 25% off labor so we penciled out what this job would cost. Seeing as I have the exhaust off and everything opened up, he says he could do the deed for around $250.00 - $300.00 labor. Now I figure it will cost me around $200 in tools I will use once in my life so this got my attention.
Chopper- You said half a day to get the job done. I’ve seen the pic of your shop. With that and your experience I’m sure you could. Me on the other hand, not so quick. Half a day just to read and re-read and re-re-read the how to open the box directions. LOL.
So bottom line: I’m going to do this one way or another so any input from those wiser than myself ( that’s a long list.lol) is much appreciated.
Thanks

Duffer here's a link to the kit, you can download the parts & instructions so you can read thru. the 255's your dealer recommended are good cams and the other good thing about is the high flow oil pump comes with the kit, it also returns the oil better to the bag so you don't puke it out the air cleaner.

I see Duffer has his RED button on... WONDER if he threw it BACK together and went for a ride? NICE DAY TODAY!

Wife and I just got back from a back road LOOP... about 95 miles and what a day in feb. to ride. 65* and now, just started to cloud in.. BIKES EVERYWHERE today..

The calif. weather is com'n up for tonight and tomorrow..... Rain but still WARM....

Back to the SUBJECT of CHIPPING SHOES and a MARGINAL OIL PUMP system before the 07 big bike change...

I noticed that the shoe color on Duffers shoes looked Yellow Orange and not chipped.. Probably HD improved them since my EARLY 2000... Where as, my 2000 shoes were RED ORG. in color and had BIG chips off ALL the shoes @14,000 mi. AND besides, it NEEDED THE newer style replacement ROLLER bearing update.... When I first LOOKED at my shoes it was SCARY.... I first took it apart to JUST to LOOK,,,BUT went into A FULL tear down and do it the right way, RIGHT NOW....

I DID go with 570SS gear drives,tons of performance parts.. Head flowed, Manley BIG Valves and Springs to match the cam and head work,,,95 high compression , all to match the HIGH performance thinges needed and doing a COMPLETE rebuild of the WHOLE engine...

By using the Feuling oil pump n lifters along with the delkron cam support plate...I was SURE with these parts, the engine would get the OIL OUT from the crank area and BACK into the oil tank...MANY MOTORS had a problem KEEPING too much oil in the crank cavity causing FOAMING and OR a BIG DRAG on the crank its self... a real LOSS OF POWER...

Many dyno techs would find a stock engine WAY BELOW the NORMAL power range and tell the person OIL DRAG.......ALWAYS calling it a Misaligned oil pump... Sometimes it WAS but most the time it was just the POOR ENGINEERING from harley.(.)

The Feuling oil pump, available then(2000) with a wider gerotor gear MOVED more oil VOLUME OUT of SUMP area and RELIEVED the crank from SWIMMING in oil,,, 60% more volume BACK... and also a little larger gerotor gear on the IN OIL side, flowed 40% more oil VOLUME into the engine and by using the Delkron support plate it was distributed with better oil flow threw-out engine ...

USING the feuling pump meant COOLER running engine and cooler oil.. that being a BIG + in a oil-air cooled engine...
REDLINE SYNTHETICS another +

HARLEY needed the updated stuff way back at the START (99 TC model) and now offers ALL as a KIT to upgrade the OLDER BIKES....

I can't believe the SMALL COST of the HD's KIT parts @ 449.99.....

I paid BIG BUCKS for JUST the oil pump and cam plate back when I UP-GRADED my bike to the BETTER system.
I HAD to use the GEAR DRIVE then, as nothing OTHER THAN THAT was available back in 2000.... GEARS to replace the FLAWED shoe tension system.

When i purchased my 09 flhr at the START of the 2010 model year out, (bot aug 21/09)
THE BIGGEST REASONS for ME to upgrade WAS for ALL the MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS harley PUT into the NEWER bikes.....

I AM REALLY PLEASED WITH MY new 09 HARLEY!

signed....BUBBIE

Back