free website stats program Temperature management system | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Temperature management system

How about for the 05 models. Is there a heat management program for those models?

The 2002 and later fuel injected Twin Cam engines use a three phase heat management system to reduce engine temperature under extreme conditions. Be aware that a rider with a very hot engine may notice the affects of this three phase heat management system and incorrectly assume an idle problem exists.

Phase 1 - At approximately 320˚ F the ECM will gradually reduce engine idle speed until the engine temperature drops or the engine reaches 800 rpm.

Phase 2 - If engine temperature reaches 338˚ F the ECM richens the air/fuel ratio to provide additional cooling.

Phase 3 - If the engine temperature reaches 356˚ F fuel injector pulses are interrupted. The air drawn in and expelled helps cool the engine further. Since there is no combustion it would be perceived as a misfire. This third stage will only happen when the motorcycle is stationary.

These are head temps as indicated and NOT oil temps

Wow. Man that sounds pretty sophisticated. I didn't know the engine would do all that or should I say the ECM.

Glider is, as usual, right on the money. I will add that my 06 Road King Classic had a fourth stage...it would shut down. Turn off before any engine damage was done. First time it happened it freaked me out..thought I damaged the engine. These bikes do run hot but, lets remember, they were designed for it, so try not to panic.

Back