free website stats program Tearing her down !! | Harley Davidson Forums

Tearing her down !!

OK .. here's the scoop.. was riding through the beautiful canadian rockies when i came upon a small town.. slowed down in costruction and noticed some pining from what sounded the bottom end. then knocking (not constant) . At first i thoght it was the stator rotor because i run an open belt primary and have tore a few out due to hard riding and rocks.(2001 fatboy with a 124 ci stuffed in) . so... put it into the back of the truck imediatly! Got to where we were going and the next day took it to a harley guy , started it in the back of the truck. no noise . unloaded it , run it for about 3 mins to heat it up , started pinging. he figured it was in the bottom end. loaded it back into the truck. got home and had another buddy (who is a motorcycle mechanic) listen to it . same thing ,started quiet, but soon after it warmed up , pinging , THEN started a horible clacking noise on every stroke of the pistons. in the process of tearing it apart now . just wondering if anyone has any similar experiences or can give me any ideas on where to look before i get REAL deep in the pig . im guessing its gonna be a total rebuild but though i would pick a few brains. Thanx in advance for and words of wisdom fron a great community of bikers . Cheers!

Might want to give more info on bike. What mods have you done or is it stock, added fueler, how many miles, ..etc. If you stuffed a 124 ci in it, its not stock and some of the more technical members of the forum would want to know more info on your ride so they can help.

GUESSING,,, Front ROD going out or a wrist pin but In Front is my guess.:newsmile08:

signed....BUBBIE

Quite possible end play in crank, Did you get it right when you put the motor in? Check with a dial indicator

ok so got the rocker covers off and found a peice of what looks like the valve guide in there . inner and outer spring both broken . pulled the first section of the head off and there is deep groves on top of piston where valve was pounding into it . question. do i need to replace the piston ? the case is smooth . no sign of scoring . valve stem shattered and springs toasted, obviously need to replace those. any advice would be greatly apprecitated, thanx

It makes no sense to put it back together with damage to the piston. I would change it while it's apart.

ya i know youre right but im cheap lol . what do you think would have caused the valve shaft and guide to shatter like that ? hopefully thats all thats wrong with it (fingers crossed)

Could be a valve hanging open, bad guide, over revving and some other things that we could guess at all day. Bite the bullet and replace the piston or you may end up doing the job all over again if you don't.

Back