free website stats program Tearing her down !! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tearing her down !!

If you hammered a valve, I would be concerned about scizzoring your crank a bit. You might want to measure your runout before you consider your repair complete.

Enjoy,
Rich P

alright , how do i go about that ribeye?
The following video shows the measurement being taken. You do not have to tear it down to the degree this one is. You can put her into a high gear, remove the spark plugs and rotate the engine by rotating the rear wheel.

‪Checking Harley Crankshaft Runout‬‏ - YouTube

Glider, so the crank runout issues I have heard about probably would not apply to the '03 A engine? I want to go with gear drive cams, so I am hoping for a low enough runout reading so that would be possible.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Glider, so the crank runout issues I have heard about probably would not apply to the '03 A engine? I want to go with gear drive cams, so I am hoping for a low enough runout reading so that would be possible.

The older engines before the 96 engine came to be were not a problem with the cranks. They were quality units that stayed together without problems.

Too bad Harley made them better in later years with the 96. :laugh

alright . well i can steal an alignment kit from work and see what its running at but i dont notice any strange wear anywhere on the crank. here's a pic of the piston ... tons of carbon on here too .284962_10150731190600315_635785314_20025948_3049691_n.jpg

another question .. can i check the runout off the stator side or should i do it from both sides ? Over rev'n i try to avoid, also let her warm up real good before i honk on it . never into the rev limiter either so idk why it went on me . has ran great since i had it rebuilt 3 years ago . pretty much just gonna replace the piston and valve assembly and pray that it was just a flawed part in her . will check the runout though just in case

alright . well i can steal an alignment kit from work and see what its running at but i dont notice any strange wear anywhere on the crank. here's a pic of the piston ... tons of carbon on here too .View attachment 10898

I don't know IF this is acceptable?
But Weld it up... IF no damage done to the wrist-pin? Clean it really well with a stainless brush (just that area and 1/2 inch around it) , a little vinegar (white) That will clean and etch the aluminum. Take it to a shop and ask them to Tig-Weld JUST that area...

Weigh it first So No problem with out of balance.. NOW I would do this as I do My own welding as a business
(retired and $TIGHT like you:D)

signed....BUBBIE

Back