free website stats program Takes 20mph? | Harley Davidson Forums

Takes 20mph?

billyd1

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with knowledge of speed at impact on collision vs. damage done? My dealer told me that it would take about a 20mph hit to bend the forks on my '09 RKC parked on the jiffy stand with the front wheel turned left to lock! Sounds a little off to me. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are, "Gee, does your dealer have a PHD in physics?"

There are WAY too many variables to make such a simplistic statement.

By the way, how did this topic come up?

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with knowledge of speed at impact on collision vs. damage done? My dealer told me that it would take about a 20mph hit to bend the forks on my '09 RKC parked on the jiffy stand with the front wheel turned left to lock! Sounds a little off to me. What are your thoughts?

There is another thread on here of a bike that was backed into while unattended on the stand. One of the posts in that thread mentioned an accident that occured at 5mph which bent the tubes. Check it out.

TQ

I doubt it would take a hit that hard to bend the tubes. Like most, he is just shooting from the hip without any empirical evidence.

Dont know about the front end but my Bob got whacked from behind 3,000.00 and some change and the cop gave her a speeding ticket in a parking garage and a reckless:s

Dont know about the front end but my Bob got whacked from behind 3,000.00 and some change and the cop gave her a speeding ticket in a parking garage and a reckless:s

A speeding ticket on private property? That's a stretch, I don't believe a peace officer can issue that kind of ticket on private property. She'll be able to beat that one if she tries. I've seen fork damage occur at 8 mph.

Sorry - I have to jump in on this one. I do have a Ph.D in Dynamics and spent five years crash testing all types of vehicles (and I know rocket scientist who stayed at Holiday Inn Express).... That statement is simply not relevant. A hydraulic jack moving at snail speed can certainly bend forks, crush cans, press bearings, etc. when supported by large enough mass. A fly moving at 100 mph certainly stings your skin, but rarely makes much of a dent. Without knowing the circumstances of the statement, I would offer that a pickup truck or car backing into a parked bike certainly COULD be able to bend forks. There would however also be a significant amount of movement of the bike as well unless the rear wheel was somehow blocked. So much for science. It usually has to do with who has to pay for fixing something.

A speeding ticket on private property? That's a stretch, I don't believe a peace officer can issue that kind of ticket on private property. She'll be able to beat that one if she tries. I've seen fork damage occur at 8 mph.

When the cop saw how hard she hit my bike he started writting the tickets and yes they can write in private parking lots, reckless can be written any where even in your driveway the Florida Trooper told me, she got 4 points and 150.00 fine and her insurance paid total repair and rental, my bike was down for 16 weeks to the day, waiting for sheet metal was the biggest problem

Back