free website stats program Tail of the Dragon Overrated? | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tail of the Dragon Overrated?

It all depends on what you are into. I ride a RK and regularly scrape the floorboards. That's me. If your into long rides on flat straight aways, the dragon is not your thing.

I like 500 mile + rides also, but rarely mix the two together.

It all depends on what your looking for.

Elmo

I live in Marble,NC. The Dragon starts in Robbinsville,NC. about 20 min. from me. Fun oh yeah,dangerous FOR SURE.It's open road for all.(cars,trucks,bikes) The problem the way I see it is,some of theeee young bikers just don't care.Lots of time they come around corners (truckers too) way to fast and in your lane.Being in the mountains if you go off one side of the road they might find you in 2,3 Months.If they can get you out and up the Mountain.Not trying to scare you but if you do ride it,take it slow at lease your first time.

Be safe and happy tails. oorah Jim

Just did it this weekend. It was pretty good. A little nerve racking for me with not much experience riding in the mountains.

Go ahead and ride the dragon, it is one of those thngs you need to do, and get the t-shirt.

There are more roads that are more fun (I think). Go north on the BRP and look for hiway 276 (Brevard) and even further north look for hiway 80 (Marion).
Hiway 80 has a huge billboard that says....THIS ROAD NOT RECOMMENDED FOR RV'S OR VEHICLES PULLING TRAILERS. 10 MPH SWITCHBACKS. They are not kidding!

I was up there a couple of weeks ago. Went there last year my bike broke down on the way there & I road my brothers bike. Not the same. This year I road my 09 SG & it was much better. It was nice because I meet a bunch of guys from another forum. The Dragon is OK. But a lot of work. If you go do not take your eyes off the road. If you already know some nice roads go with them. Watch out for the leaf lookers, & by now watch out for the leaves on the road they can get real slippery. I found a nut on the road & it made my rear jump over about 4" Enough to make you pucker.

Back