free website stats program Tail of the Dragon Overrated? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tail of the Dragon Overrated?

I live close enough to the Dragon that I could ride it every day but I have an Ultra so it's slow going through there for me. I like my bike and my life too much to ride the dragon everytime klI kgo for a ride. besides it gets boreing after a few hundred times. I usually only ride it now kwhen friends acome for a visit and want to kcheck it out. South East Tn has alot of nice mountain roads to kride. one of my favorites is the Cherahalla Skyway from Tellico Plains, TN to Robbinsville, NC. now that one I'll ride every day I get the chance.

Redfish and Ronald, I agree having been there and road it both ways it really is for the speed demons, once you ride it slow like I did you're pretty well done with it. If I remember right though the pull off at the dam has a nice view. The ones who ride it with a vengeance have a blast and I'm glad they enjoy it so much, I had to wave them around. It's a great place to visit but there are many more hwys and bywys that I enjoy ridin as much or more than the dragon.

You're right we're cruisers but the Dragon is a must do "ONCE" to say you've done it. It's not a scenic ride as you have to concentrate all the time but there is a sense of accomplishment after it's done. Do it at least once if you can. IMHO

Rode the Dragon last May. Got there pretty early from Bryson City. Pretty much had the entire road to myself. Took my time and didn't try to impress anyone. Don't know if I even got out of second gear. Beautiful scenery up that way. Nuthin' to worry about as far as the ride goes as long as you use your brain housing group.

Speed limit 35mph , total time 22 min. to ride it....on a cruiser
crotchrocket total time 11 min. You figure it out.
The surrounding roads are better.
Better yet.........come on up to Virginia to the Shenandoah Valley , We have roads that are very comparable to the Tail.

Like many others,I rode the 'Dragon' before it even had the name..probably ridden it 100+ times since the 70s....just another fun road to ride back then....these days,you couldnt pay me to join that freakshow on a weekend....mid week is way less hectic.....:rider

Cherahalla Skyway is a better ride, but ya have to try the Dragon at least once.......

Back when I started riding that area,there wasnt any Cherohala Skyway.....the road from Tellico ended @ the NC line...unless you wanted to 'rough it'...:rider

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dragon is a must do for anyone. Just remember to "ride your own ride" and watch out for this guy"The Yellow Wolf, he has probably put more miles on the "Dragon" than anyone else.

Here's where you can get all the info you need about the Dragon. Tail of the Dragon

That guy has ridden that road a few times. Just amazing he can pull that wing so hard wouldn't take much to go real bad real fast, too dangerous for my blood.

I agree that the dragon is worth the ride. I plan on riding it but I think I'll leave the wive in Gatlinburg when I do. I have friends on the West Coast who say its a must ride and they ride the canyons all the time.

Doint it 101309. Taking the week off and we are taking 8 or 9 bikes and heading to Hayesville NC . We rented a 6br house for the week. Going to ride everywhere we can.

Back