free website stats program surge protector | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

surge protector

electricity - be it a lighting strike or a power surge - takes the least path of resistance. Physics 101. :D

Computer grade surge protectors depend on how much of a surge you expect (they are rated in "Joules" or Power Dissipation/Time). Some also want a built in battery backup, charger/eliminator and power inverter (Uninterruptable Power Supply or UPS) as well, which depends on how long it is to "hold up" your equipment during a power outage to allow you to finish your work and shut things down...yes it is hard to watch TV with only a flashlight...! Modern computers draw 350W or more which may surprise some of you who are energy star conscious out there.

I have seen the breaker panel units TOTALY destroyed, but no damage down stream from them, well worth the cost when you think of what the normal deducatable is on your home owners policy is.

electricity - be it a lighting strike or a power surge - takes the least path of resistance. Physics 101. :D

I ride in the rain but I am terrified by Lightning and living in Florida aint helping any, but do have surge protectors on all my puters and TV and have the house double grounded

I ride in the rain but I am terrified by Lightning and living in Florida aint helping any, but do have surge protectors on all my puters and TV and have the house double grounded

Wise man!!!! Do you have the GFI breakers installed into your breaker panel?

GFI breakers don't do anything for lightning, though they MAY help you from getting "surged" if you get across a hot leg....they do make circut breakes with suppressors built in them, along with the surge suppressors that tie across both phases of your breaker panel...

GFI breakers don't do anything for lightning, though they MAY help you from getting "surged" if you get across a hot leg....they do make circut breakes with suppressors built in them, along with the surge suppressors that tie across both phases of your breaker panel...

Point well taken, but done is done and if I sell they cant use that against me :s Did I mention Im scared of lightning, Living in Florida imagine that

make sure your house is grounded . iwork in cable field , we sink a 8 foot ground rod by the meter for grounding . they say our rod will put it to ground if the cable wire is hit , if the guy connected it lol

Surge protectors are best installed load side of the meter pans or line side of the main breaker in your panel, the best protection however is pulling out the plug if you can during a storm, the next best would be to install lightning protection on your roof, pricey though. most likely though if you get a direct hit there's gonna be some damage.

Back