free website stats program Super Tuner need dyno? | Harley Davidson Forums

Super Tuner need dyno?

THis week my 2010 Road King Classic goes in for its 1,000 service and I am doing a Stage 1 at the same time. The dealer strongly recommended that I use the HD Super Tuner and based on what I've read here I realize it may be overkill, but the service guy seemed to imply I would have less issues with a warranty should problems arise since it is HD equipment.

He said nothing about putting the bike on a Dyno as part of the installtion but it seems some posts here say it is necessary?

Does the super tuner need that to be properly installed?

I've done the super tuner stage 1 download in quite a few bikes and everyone is very happy with the can download, not one complaint. The super tuner stage 1 download is richer (off road use) then the street legal stage 1 download from Harley, the only time I recommend dyno tuning is with a off the wall build, cams & heads. The good thing about the super tuner is if you have any rideabilty issues down the road, they can be addressed on a dyno. The service department will more then likely try to sell you dyno time, that's how they make money, sales would push it at our dealership so I would charge one hour to install the stage one map or install the tuner for free and charge three hours dyno time, so it only cost the customer two hours to have a custom built map, some customers liked to see their true hp & torque after the stage one, it usually took less then thirty mins to fine tune because the map was so close, and yes it is more warranty friendly then a aftermarket fueler or tuner that a lot of dealerships cannot diagnose or tune and I have never had a problem putting any warranty thru on a bike using a super tuner. It's a good one time investment that's good for the life of the bike.

as chopper said stage 1 map is fine with no dyno it only takes 10 mins to flash the map in, also they can do "smart tune" with the road test to fine tune the map, also on 2010 touring the is a 10% and a 26% ethanol map, the 10% map richens it slightly which on standard fuel i have found a bit nicer in hotter periods. so save the dyno money and just tell em to flash the stage 1, but check the quote to the actual invoice as the may try increase the cost to cover the no dyno

Thanks everyone. I got the bike back last night. Took it out for an hour. There was no charge for any time for tuning on a dyno.

I am psyched!! The bike runs great. I got V&H Oval slip ons, the SE intake and with the super tuner I notice a significant power improvement. I also had the 1K service done. these are the changes I noticed:

1) Much nicer sound. Though loudr than the stock pipes, the Ovals are not too loud and have a much nicer sound, especiallly when I twist the throttle.
2) More horsepower
3) the engine seems much more comfortable running at higher revs in the gears before needing to be shifted. It seems instinctively I was just running it higher before shifting, like the bike didn 't want to be shifted yet?? Is this part of the effect of the tuner?
4) the clutch and transmission seem smoother and neutral is easy to find now.

I did not get any CD with the Tuner and forgot to ask about when picking up the bke. Is this something I should ask the service dept for? Is it ususally included in the $450 or so I paid for the super tuner?

Congratulations, sounds like your bike is running the way Harley's engineers designed it to run, too bad they don't run like that out of the box. Unfortunately the CD and cables are sold as extra's now, but if if you do any engine mods down the road all dealers have the software & cables, enjoy the ride.

The CD, cables, and Training DVD are about $75.00. I recommend the training DVD if you are like me and pretty much "tuner illiterate".

Hello All,

I am new to this so bear with me. Is the HD Super Tuner a good purchase?
I ask this due to the fact that I am doing my stage 1. Python Slip Ons / SE Heavy Breather / and need to work the ECM.
I have not been able to find a Power Commander for my 09 SG, and really do not want to pay the $$ for the Thunder Max. Thoughts?

Thanks, I'll look into that. One of the mechs at my dealership runs the same set up on his 08 SG and is very pleased with it. Of course he is pushing the HD Super Tuner though for warranty reasons.

Back