free website stats program Stuck Screw | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stuck Screw

I'll bet you're having fun outfitting your shop. Chopper's right about the Snap-on impact driver, it always works. I had a cheap one and it was a total waste of money.

I'll bet you're having fun outfitting your shop. Chopper's right about the Snap-on impact driver, it always works. I had a cheap one and it was a total waste of money.
Even when I use the Proper Sized Torx allen By Hand, IF NOT held Straight and FULLY into the Torx,,, ONE SLIP and it is over...So the Impact iS the best way to go.

Taking them off with an Impact,,, Because it is stating Hammer, IT isn't Meaning A sledge... :devil

signed....BUBBIE

Don't forget...the proper torx size is a 27, NOT a 25. The 25 will strip the heads most of the time.

I have had my impact screwdriver for many years and it has seved me well although all my wee fastners are allen rather than torx i always use the impact driver to get them moving and always a wee coating of copper grease on them before they go back in
once you start collecting tools you will never stop there is always something you need

Brian

I like a dab of antisieze on the bits before you whack them, it seems to make a more positive connection, and when I replace the bolts I use antisieze on the threads and a bit under the washer (HD) calls them captive washers, next time they will turn out easy:s

GOT IT!!!! I went and bought a left drill bit and a decent ez out and a tap to chase the threads. Took a little doing, had to run a pilot hole cuz my lefty wasn't biting. But after the pilot hole, it dug most of the screw out. Got the rest with the ez out. The chased the threads, and bingo! Filled my primary, put in new gasket, installed new derby cover using anti-seize. Looks great! Way better than buying a new outer primary case. HUGE THANKS GUYS!!!

Congratulations on doing the deed successfully. One of the banes of aluminum is that it can gall and if moisure and disimilar metal contacts it, electrolysis and corrosion occurs.

Aircraft industry a long time ago developed Helicoil inserts to protect aluminum threads and allow successful mating of stainless fasteners under high torque loads. Always torque fasteners to the lower end of the spec for those you intend to service, recheck once in a while following the critical fastener recommendations in your service manual... use anti-sieze compound to be sure, blue loctite where recommended and red loctite ONLY if you do not want to remove the fastener

GOT IT!!!! I went and bought a left drill bit and a decent ez out and a tap to chase the threads. Took a little doing, had to run a pilot hole cuz my lefty wasn't biting. But after the pilot hole, it dug most of the screw out. Got the rest with the ez out. The chased the threads, and bingo! Filled my primary, put in new gasket, installed new derby cover using anti-seize. Looks great! Way better than buying a new outer primary case. HUGE THANKS GUYS!!!

Great job, you are going to like using anti sieze:s

Back