free website stats program Stuck Screw | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stuck Screw

GOT IT!!!! I went and bought a left drill bit and a decent ez out and a tap to chase the threads. Took a little doing, had to run a pilot hole cuz my lefty wasn't biting. But after the pilot hole, it dug most of the screw out. Got the rest with the ez out. The chased the threads, and bingo! Filled my primary, put in new gasket, installed new derby cover using anti-seize. Looks great! Way better than buying a new outer primary case. HUGE THANKS GUYS!!!
Good job Bull Dog! Redrilling any bolt out is a lot more difficult than it sounds. Oftentimes the drill goes off center of what we are drilling and it really messes up the threads. Sounds to me like you did it right the first time!

Yup - was just thinking today though that I should have done a fresh clutch adjust while I had it open. I havent run the bike yet, what are the odds that it would be ok to open it up and re-use the new gasket? Seems like it would be OK, but any thoughts?

Yup - was just thinking today though that I should have done a fresh clutch adjust while I had it open. I havent run the bike yet, what are the odds that it would be ok to open it up and re-use the new gasket? Seems like it would be OK, but any thoughts?

I say you'd be OK. Many don't change this gasket EVERY time as long as it's in good shape. Primary's not a pressurized area so it's not as critical as some others.

I’ve re-used that gasket twice as it still looked new, no issue. I do use new O rings on the drain plugs every time.
Good show on your success with the stuck bolt. Thanks for sharing the experience and technique.

Job well done Bull Dog, if you ever have a allen strip out in the future a good trick is to use a impact driver with a slightly larger torx bit, one tap and they'll come right out also.

when i was a kid i wasn't allowed to drink coke a cola because that is what my father used to release stuck screws or two pieces of metal that were bonded together by corrosion. i still use coke a cola when i need to.

when i was a kid i wasn't allowed to drink coke a cola because that is what my father used to release stuck screws or two pieces of metal that were bonded together by corrosion. i still use coke a cola when i need to.

That's a great tip Lorne, I think when I was a kid they had better stuff in coke but I'll have to try it.

That's a great tip Lorne, I think when I was a kid they had better stuff in coke but I'll have to try it.

i usually dilute the leftover coke a cola with this other liquid made from sugar Cain. that way it doesn't go bad, other wise the coke a cola tastes funny

but seriously it does work!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Job well done Bull Dog, if you ever have a allen strip out in the future a good trick is to use a impact driver with a slightly larger torx bit, one tap and they'll come right out also.

Awesome! Thanks Chop! Giving away some great trade secrets here!

Back